Conch climbing aquarium glass

  • Thread starter Thread starter falter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

falter

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 2, 2026
Messages
39
Reaction score
30
Location
Vancouver
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with "Repo", our rescue clownfish, we also rescued what we were told was a fighting conch. I'm not sure about that.. it basically has a long, narrowish shell.

It has been living in the tank without issue for over a month now, but tonight for the first time I spotted it climbing the glass to graze on algae there. I read online that this may be a warning sign of starvation.. do conches pretty much never climb glass unless they have to?
 
Mine does this all the time, I think it can mean they are starved, but also they don't understand walls very well, so they just go one way looking for food, not really understanding its a glass wall instead of a rock covered in more food.
 
I have 2 fighting conch and one strawberry conch in my 112g display. I have never seen them climb the glass. If I saw mine done that I would try to get it some food. I assume they may graze on nori so you could try that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new