** Tank Issues ** Fiji Cube 76 Gallon Shallow Internal Overflow BUILD

JC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bummed that I will be shutting down my current tank but I'm extremely happy because I will be upgrading to a bigger tank :). I will be transferring most of my live rock over to the new build.

Say hello to my @Fiji Cube 76 Gallon Shallow Internal Overflow Rimless Aquarium with White Stand ‍. I’m very blessed to be part of the #BRSReefPack gang @Bulk Reef Supply . This wouldn’t be possible without you guys I’m super stoked for this build The plumbing should be done tomorrow ;Poto We shall see LOL

I typically post lots of updates on my IG, here is a direct link to my profile https://www.instagram.com/jc.reef/?hl=en

The craftsmanship behind this tank is beyond amazing. What do you guys think?

oUknoEK.jpg

ZcSexXc.jpg

Eew5g5w.jpg

q4qQl5T.jpg

YTCoeEH.jpg

gEPfJls.jpg

HPJ7QFK.jpg

OP
OP
JC Reef

JC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand looks great, no issues. One little hiccup, I was missing 5 Binding Post Screws and 5 Joint Connectors. @Fiji Cube was very responsive and hardware arrived one week later.

zwpZk3P.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JC Reef

JC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On May 29th I did my tank transfer and it was a total failure. I lost all my livestock and SPS during the transfer. This was my 5th tank transfer in my 13 years of reefing, and I obviously did something wrong and definitely dropped the ball. Something in my holding tank nuked the holding container. If I didn’t have such a nice new tank, honestly, I would have thrown in the towel and taken a break from the hobby. Losing my livestock was very painful. My oldest clown has been with me since my first build (12 gl biocube). My kid kept asking, "Daddy, are the fishies coming back? Are they going to wake up?" Unfortunately, Daddy killed them all. It took me two weeks to finally add livestock.

After talking to my friend Chris, I think he figured out why my holding tank was nuked. The weeping willows probably attacked other corals (or vice versa) and created some serious chemical warfare. Yes, I messed up by not using carbon : (

When I thought the nightmare was over, it wasn’t. One of the silicone seams on the tank had an issue. Upon delivery, the tank was inspected but the stretched wrap on the outside of the glass was not removed to protect the glass from being scratched while I gathered all the necessary items for the build. Due to the supply chain issues, it hindered my build and I was finally able to get it wet during the Memorial Day weekend. As I was removing the stretched wrap, the left middle seam seemed to have an issue with the silicone job on the outside. As I filled the tank with water, the silicone issue became more apparent. @Bulk Reef Supply and @Fiji Cube were notified right away. They started sorting out the problem, and Fijicube determined it was a bad seal and a replacement tank was sent out my way.

pnXlaTU.jpg

tXXkCXm.jpg

OP
OP
JC Reef

JC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Tank #2 with issues**

The replacement tank was delivered last Tuesday (6/21/22). I was present to make sure I could note any issues on the POD if needed. The crate arrived severely damaged, but the tank was not broken. We can say the crate did its job.

I’m going to be very transparent. Due to the bad experience I had with the previous tank (bad silicone seam), I decided to take a proactive approach with the new tank. I applied another coat of silicone to all the seams because the original seam is very fine. The added silicone adhered nicely to both glass corners, and it will potentially eliminate any issues from the original silicone that was applied by the manufacturer. The added silicone is due to trust issues, and I honestly shouldn't have had to do this. I only did the silicone job because I was paranoid from the first tank. After I completed the silicone job, I proceeded to remove the plastic wrap from the outer glass and discovered a new issue with the tank. On the outside (left side), the seam was poorly executed. There is a gap between both glass joints that is at least seven inches long. I taped the area and filled the gap with fresh silicone. I understand new silicone does not adhere to old silicone. With this finding and with the fix that I did, I honestly don’t feel safe. Seeing the tank having a split seam is a major problem, and it’s not worth the risk. I think this tank will eventually give out as it’s going to be a ticking time bomb. I’m very disappointed and extremely frustrated with Fijicube when these tanks sell for well over a thousand dollars. I’m starting to question their QA department. Tanks like these shouldn't be released for sale if they don't meet all the standards of quality. Their system definitely has a huge flaw somewhere. I have lost all trust in them and don’t want to deal with them for a third time.

I’m currently working it out with @Fiji Cube and @Bulk Reef Supply once again. Hopefully, Fijicube doesn’t come back to me and tell me that the warranty is voided because I added silicone. That’s why in the email sent out to them I was very transparent about it. Adding the extra silicone shouldn't be a reason to overlook the main problem of the split seam. But this time I’m pushing for a refund from BRS.

k3sXA6y.jpg

lmxKMv8.jpg

l9y5nVq.jpg

jQvKvSG.jpg

TqEyjcg.jpg

Xe06qp2.jpg

xzSRJbi.jpg

OP
OP
JC Reef

JC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what did they say?

FijiCube didn't want to take responsibility for the second tank. I sent the below email to BRS since I no longer wanted to have communication with them. BRS gave me a partial refund for my poor experience, but I will never vouch for or recommend this aquarium company to anyone.

1st issue:

Regarding the original complaint where Fijicube states that the first tank had zero issues and it was just a cosmetic thing, this was not communicated to me. In fact, I have the email thread where they stated that my pictures were being evaluated by their product engineering team for evaluation. A replacement tank was granted because the affected area was tagged as an "area of concern” by Fijicube.

2nd issue:

Fijicube doesn’t want to be responsible for the split seam because I didn’t note on the POD that the crate was damaged. I have mentioned several times that the driver and I inspected the glass and found no issues. Therefore, we both said no damage was found. But let’s be genuine here, if the crate arrived in excellent condition and the split seam was found later, Fijicube would be off the hook? So, because no damages were noted on the POD then the customer is at a loss. Yeah, I don’t think so.

Back to Fijicube’s response,

“Upon picture evaluation, the tank is perfectly fine as is. The “seam split” as claimed is not a split but seems like a cleaning silicone mark from our manufacturing. The customer is requesting for full credit for the order.”

The pictures I took of the glass clearly show a split seam. It has nothing to do with cleaning silicone from the manufacturer. I know this tank is not safe, and at this point, I'd rather reseal the first tank. I honestly shouldn’t be doing this either. Since Fijicube doesn’t want to hold any accountability here, I’m confident that BRS will provide me with an honest resolution. I’m okay with receiving a partial refund in points for Fijicube's negligence and just calling it a day. Please let me know how BRS will alleviate the situation.

Back