Fiji pink or special grade?

Pete Hammersley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like the look of the bare bottom, I’m only 4 months in but want to add sand. I would rather have to clean the whole sand bed periodically than look at a crud white haze across the glass bottom 6 days out of 7.
fiji pink or special grade? Idon’t want it to blow round as I want a mixed reef and will need reasonable flow, so not the oolite as it is very fine. Anybody used these sands before?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Pete Hammersley

Pete Hammersley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME Fiji Pink is too fine for aquariums with moderate to high flow. I prefer Special Grade as it is not too fine, but still fine enough for Wrasses, anemones, and other sand dwelling creatures to use and enjoy.
The special grade looks very white. Is there much difference in aesthetics when the tank is lit? Also, will sand sifting gobies be ok with it?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The special grade looks very white. Is there much difference in aesthetics when the tank is lit? Also, will sand sifting gobies be ok with it?
There is really very little difference in color between the two. The special grade is great for gobies. I always have gobies in my systems to help keep the sand clean. My Banded sleeper goby is doing great and past Diamond Watchman gobies have never had issues with it either.

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank and Really nice aquascape ! :cool:
I just recently started a tank and I did have Pink Fiji and half special grade .
Its mixed really well.
Good luck -

OP
OP
Pete Hammersley

Pete Hammersley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank and Really nice aquascape ! :cool:
I just recently started a tank and I did have Pink Fiji and half special grade .
Its mixed really well.
Good luck -
Thanks. ☺️ That’s a good solution, 50/50. Was there much difference in the colour between the two?

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. ☺ That’s a good solution, 50/50. Was there much difference in the colour between the two?

I can't tell the difference between the two of them color wise, even when I am trying to . The only difference to me is that the special grade is chunkier . So if you plan on having high flow then maybe all special grade would be good for you.
The pink Fiji will get blown around a little more but It hasn't been anything bad for me . I'm running 3 wave makers and the 4 heads that come out from my pumps.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Fiji pink and I prefer the look than special grade. Check out my build thread.

However, fiji pink is easier to get blown around.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never use anything but special grade in a tank with any decent amount of flow. It allows for much more flexibility in pump placement.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the special grade and have had all the sand creatures with no issues.
For you I would get the dry version rather than the live for whichever you decide. Then rinse super well to get out all the dust.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with most here the pink fine sand just is way too fine.
Had it in my Nano with mild flow and always had spots of bottom glass showing where any flow directly hit.
I would not do 50/50 either. The fine does not bind the large in place, and when you vac the substraight it just gets worse.

OP
OP
Pete Hammersley

Pete Hammersley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the great advice. Overwhelming majority say special grade, so I’ve bought 80 lb of it. I might need a 3rd 40 lb bag but I’ll see how I get on with 2 for now. Thanks everyone.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pick that shows the difference in size in my tank

3FD9C621-0F11-49AD-BA70-E5D4A1CB7806.jpeg
I might have to add a layer of special grade on top of the Fiji pink. Any other tips you can share and are you running moderate to high flow, If so any sand flying around?

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 4 returns that come off of two pumps ... then I am running two wavemakers from side to side and one that goes from front to back .

1 wave runner is on stream at moderate level

The other two are on surge at I would say moderate level as well ...

I don’t have any problems with sand blowing around ... my sand is actually almost completely flat ... I’ll take a pic tomorrow when the lights are on.

It only took me about 5 minutes to situate the wave makers to where the sand wasn’t bothered while still getting more than enough flow through my tank.

In my option, a lot of it depends on your tanks shape, depth, and aqua scape ...

Also, I more or less layered the two blends but after about 2 times of siphoning the sand bed, it all mixed together.

stevethao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like special grade. Fiji pink blew around a little too much with the high flow.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 4 returns that come off of two pumps ... then I am running two wavemakers from side to side and one that goes from front to back .

1 wave runner is on stream at moderate level

The other two are on surge at I would say moderate level as well ...

I don’t have any problems with sand blowing around ... my sand is actually almost completely flat ... I’ll take a pic tomorrow when the lights are on.

It only took me about 5 minutes to situate the wave makers to where the sand wasn’t bothered while still getting more than enough flow through my tank.

In my option, a lot of it depends on your tanks shape, depth, and aqua scape ...

Also, I more or less layered the two blends but after about 2 times of siphoning the sand bed, it all mixed together.
Sounds good. Will wait for your picture. Agree on the it depends on rockscape. I had Jebao scp120 on my 120 and it was way too strong even at the lowest setting. Then throughout the year I added about 30% more rocks and corals, now I am running at 30% and it’s just about right.

sounds like I will be mixing it in a few days when I am off.

Back