Filling a tank obly halfway?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ill be moving out soon. They don't allow fish tanks but they don't care for half filled fish tanks so that got me curious. Would a half filled tank for fw be harder to care for? Would nutrients and stuff be harder to manage?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id imagine they are thinking of paludarium. something like this
1646080159267.png

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is little practical difference other than water volume and limiting the equipment you can use. A hob for example likely will not work without modification and even then would be a lot of splashing even if it did work. A canister though would likely work fine though may need to modify a bit of the plumbing.

Overall I dont think it will be harder to manage nutrients (again other than the fact you have half the water volume of it being full)

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly like this. Do yoy know how to get it to look like that? How do they hold up the walls?
thats a whole rabbit hole. look up paladarium building videos
lol yea thats whole another rabbit hole. It takes a bit more planning. Serpa on youtube has built a few:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves can live in freshwater (or at least particularly species).
They sell filters designed for pauladariums, or you can diy. There are some pretty cool pauladarium setups out there.
Technically fish stocking is the same, you just have to take reduced gallonage into account.
Very good for amphibians or semi aquatic reptiles, as well as fish.
In a brackish setup you can do mudskippers.
You could even do a tidepoostyle marine setup (though this would be very difficult).

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mangroves can live in freshwater (or at least particularly species).
They sell filters designed for pauladariums, or you can diy. There are some pretty cool pauladarium setups out there.
Technically fish stocking is the same, you just have to take reduced gallonage into account.
Very good for amphibians or semi aquatic reptiles, as well as fish.
In a brackish setup you can do mudskippers.
You could even do a tidepoostyle marine setup (though this would be very difficult).
it really depends on species and how you setup the land, reptile and amphibian care is very different than fish care. I love both though, planning on setting up a rainforest paladarium (will never, ever spell this right lol) with poison dart frogs at some point.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it really depends on species and how you setup the land, reptile and amphibian care is very different than fish care. I love both though, planning on setting up a rainforest paladarium (will never, ever spell this right lol) with poison dart frogs at some point.
True point - it would have to be setup with a species in mind.
Man I’d love some dart frogs…

Back