Filling a tank obly halfway?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - there is no reason you couldnt take a 'big' (up to the OP's definition) - stack up rock - so water cascades down the sides into the bottom half. Whats not clear is whether a sump in an issue. Ie if. was going to do it. - I would have an overflow set at 1/2 of the tank. Mangroves - as already mentioned, etc etc - could be used. It could be cool IMHO
ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant setup a saltwater paladarum with mud and such to make something like a brackish marsh.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats good, if you feel you are ready, you should get started in some paladarium communities and start looking into the biotype you want to make in more detail.

heres a decent starter guide to vampire crabs https://www.aquariumsource.com/vampire-crab/

They are tropical freshwater crabs, so are more sensitive than some other freshwater species. They need a well kept enclosure that is humid and warm, but not stagnent.
Actually speaking of this do yoy know anything about fw clams? I used to have some but honestly just got them for free and kept them

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is its fresh water
I've been growing mangroves in freshwater for about 3 yrs. So far they don't mind. :) I agree with others about getting clarification on "half filled tank". Seems like a weird way to describe the restriction. Usually they tell you the weight other than maybe tanks filled halfway aren't Prine to overflowing as often. If it includes fish tanks then half filled should be no problem other than you might be limited in fish that can be kept unless you were thinking of a reptile or amphibian enclosure.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been growing mangroves in freshwater for about 3 yrs. So far they don't mind. :) I agree with others about getting clarification on "half filled tank". Seems like a weird way to describe the restriction. Usually they tell you the weight other than maybe tanks filled halfway aren't Prine to overflowing as often. If it includes fish tanks then half filled should be no problem other than you might be limited in fish that can be kept unless you were thinking of a reptile or amphibian enclosure.
Anything special for acclimation or anything for fw mangrove

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything special for acclimation or anything for fw mangrove
No, nothing special. I have the red mangrove type. From my understanding where they normally grow the conditions can be FW, brackish, full marine or fluctuating. They're pretty hardy. The only thing I find is that they need a lot of light. They start dropping leaves if they don't get enough.

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would an under gravel work for those?
Not if you dirt it which I highly suggest you do if you want a nice planted tank.
7E917C0F-E844-4DA1-A881-1D6F4CBC3D9F.jpeg

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you dirt it which I highly suggest you do if you want a nice planted tank.
7E917C0F-E844-4DA1-A881-1D6F4CBC3D9F.jpeg
I put a layer of seachem floruide dark and a layer of stratum. Based on the growth so far this seems to work

Attachments

• 16462901682131267166358364787596.jpg
    16462901682131267166358364787596.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 28

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually speaking of this do yoy know anything about fw clams? I used to have some but honestly just got them for free and kept them
They like somewhat "dirty" water with good params (good for freshwater at least). They are not very hard to care for in the proper tank. If you get them, make sure they are a tropical FW species that can handle the temps Vampire Crabs like.

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a layer of seachem floruide dark and a layer of stratum. Based on the growth so far this seems to work
My yard is kind of foresty and on a creek so I just shovel mud out of the backyard and it makes plants explode. Cap it with sand or pebbles. And as a bonus it comes with critters like pods and little worms.
58EDD64A-0A36-4F8B-B4E5-FC9089AFA985.jpeg

au natural low tech

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it really depends on species and how you setup the land, reptile and amphibian care is very different than fish care. I love both though, planning on setting up a rainforest paladarium (will never, ever spell this right lol) with poison dart frogs at some point.
I hate to be that guy, so I won't. But I will lol Darts almost never interact with water features, they aren't buoyant enough to swim and will drown very easily if they fall in the water. even shallow pools & streams aren't really worth it, they just don't spend much time in them & they are a total nightmare to maintain (I removed a stream from one of my old dart vivs less than two weeks after setup, it got nasty and leaked). The best thing to do would to add a 2" thick layer of small & large leaf litter that the darts can safely hid in without the risk of drowning or foot rot.

To the OP, I would suggest a black mangrove lagoon for the build, if at all possible (I know blacks are hard to find). They grow a finer branch structure & smaller leaves, and have really neat roots that grow upwards out of the soil as opposed to downwards. Things like clingfish, sponges and tridacna clams would make for a really neat tank!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be that guy, so I won't. But I will lol Darts almost never interact with water features, they aren't buoyant enough to swim and will drown very easily if they fall in the water. even shallow pools & streams aren't really worth it, they just don't spend much time in them & they are a total nightmare to maintain (I removed a stream from one of my old dart vivs less than two weeks after setup, it got nasty and leaked). The best thing to do would to add a 2" thick layer of small & large leaf litter that the darts can safely hid in without the risk of drowning or foot rot.

To the OP, I would suggest a black mangrove lagoon for the build, if at all possible (I know blacks are hard to find). They grow a finer branch structure & smaller leaves, and have really neat roots that grow upwards out of the soil as opposed to downwards. Things like clingfish, sponges and tridacna clams would make for a really neat tank!
I know they do not interact with water features, they are arboreal frogs. Its more about proper humidity, and looks, while balancing the water so as to not pose a drowning risk.

Back