Filling tank now!

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, how high do I fill my tank to? Do I add water in my sump, tank, and overflow THEN turn on return pump? I have a reef ready 90:) rodi is currently being made in the kitchen.

image.jpg

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill your tank to about 1-2 inches below the rim, fill your sump to the right level of your protein skimmer (typically about 1/2 to 3/4 up the body), then turn everything on. Check levels, add more RO/DI if necessary. For sumps, make sure the water level is just enough for water to pass through each stage, without flooding the tank and rending the individual stage ineffective. If you have baffles on your sump, water should generally flow just over each baffle--if water is an inch or two higher than the baffle, that might indicate a problem with the water height. Since sumps can be so complex and varied, just grab the manual for your specific sump and check recommended water heights. Add or subtract water once you turn on the return pump on to match that manual's recommended specs.

Last edited:

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of your sump? Fill till it starts to overflow into the sump. Then start filling up your sump till it has enough water in it to return back to your DT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
-I fill 3/4 full
-Add salt to tank
-Run powerheads to mix salt
-Add sand
-Allow water to run into overflow and start pump to initiate circulation

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-I fill 3/4 full
-Add salt to tank
-Run powerheads to mix salt
-Add sand
-Allow water to run into overflow and start pump to initiate circulation
Right. I just don’t know how to make each different chamber the right height

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of your sump? Fill till it starts to overflow into the sump. Then start filling up your sump till it has enough water in it to return back to your DT.
Yes:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill your tank to about 1-2 inches below the rim, fill your sump to the right level of your protein skimmer (typically about 1/2 to 3/4 up the body), then turn everything on. Check levels, add more RO/DI if necessary. For sumps, make sure the water level is just enough for water to pass through each stage, without flooding the tank and rending the individual stage ineffective. If you have baffles on your sump, water should generally flow just over each baffle--if water is an inch or two higher than the baffle, that might indicate a problem with the water height. Since sumps can be so complex and varied, just grab the manual for your specific sump and check recommended water heights. Add or subtract water once you turn on the return pump on to match that manual's recommended specs.
Do you recommend I run my skimmer during the cycle to give time to break in? Or just wait for tank to be cycled

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to run skimmer dont want it to remove any bacteria. Put everything in the tank, sand rock, water let is settle after mixing salt (if mixing in the tank) then start your cycle process.. what are you using? Live rock and sand or dry? Fishless cycle.? Bottle bacteria And ammonia?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, how high do I fill my tank to? Do I add water in my sump, tank, and overflow THEN turn on return pump? I have a reef ready 90:) rodi is currently being made in the kitchen.

image.jpg

Remember to leave room for the water displacement of your rock scape. If you fill the tank to running level before putting in the rocks you're going to need to syphon some water out as you add rocks.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to run skimmer dont want it to remove any bacteria. Put everything in the tank, sand rock, water let is settle after mixing salt (if mixing in the tank) then start your cycle process.. what are you using? Live rock and sand or dry? Fishless cycle.? Bottle bacteria And ammonia?
Live rock/ live sand and a bottle of dr Tim’s bacteria with ammonia:)

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to leave room for the water displacement of your rock scape. If you fill the tank to running level before putting in the rocks you're going to need to syphon some water out as you add rocks.
Yeah, I am getting some more rock on Wednesday and already have a few rocks in for my bacteria to live until I get some more. I will siphon out some water from my tank as I add more on wednesday

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t know how to get each sump chamber to the height I want it. Do I just let the water flow into the overflow and fill the sump that way?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it that way, let water go into sump from tank, then when return chamber is filled to level you want, turn on pump and adjust the amount of flow you want coming back into tank.

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it that way, let water go into sump from tank, then when return chamber is filled to level you want, turn on pump and adjust the amount of flow you want coming back into tank.
couldnt find a specific answer- does chemi pure expire?

OP
OP
Brooke24

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it have anything on the bottle, it should have a exp date
It did not have anything on the bottle. It looked fine to me, rinsed how it should, and posted a couple pictures people said its fine. Clearing up my water too

Back