Film algae…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my RS max nano as a penninsula (Although I only really use the right and front to view into it) and the left side is always hit with sunlight. Therefor the film algae growth is Rather thick on the glass. So far all I have is;
2-4 Trochus snails
1 Mexican turbo snail
2 nassarius snails (they will sometimes climb up the sides of the glass to eat it at night)
1 Linear blenny

What do you guys think would be alright in a mixed reef but SPS heavy tank? If it eats ricordea Yuma then I would be happy (I have a 5-6” across R. yuma growing). Also it needs to be safe with small fish as I have 3 fish all less than an inch.
Fish stock is:
Escenius lineatus (Linear Blenny)
2 Trimma tevegae (Tevegae Pygmy Goby)
Discordipinna griessingeri (Flaming Prawn Goby)
Koumansetta hectori (Hectors Goby)
Gobiodon acicularis (Black Clown Goby)
Stonogobiops yasha (Yasha Shrimp Goby)
Macropharyngodon bipartitus (Blue Star Leopard Wrasse) - Temp
Cirrhilabrus naokoae (Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse) - Temp

Amelanchier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cerith snails eat both on my rocks and glass but I’ve never found snails that actually fully clean glass. I just use a magnet cleaner to swipe off any film algae on the glass every few days.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cerith snails eat both on my rocks and glass but I’ve never found snails that actually fully clean glass. I just use a magnet cleaner to swipe off any film algae on the glass every few days.
I’m doing that currently but it’s a pain with constantly doing it every day or two.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cerith snails , they laid eggs all over the glass for months, that was worse than the algae, do you get this happening?

Amelanchier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ceriths do lay eggs on the glass. I think they look cool though, and the eggs don’t last that long, so they don’t bother me.

For the film algae on the glass I’ve always viewed whatever grew there to be snacks for my snails but my responsibility to clean.

For the original question I suppose you could try more snails in general, or growing macroalgae to see if you could get the balance right so that the macro grew more than the film algae, or you could cover the window, or put something (even construction paper) on that wall of the tank to block the light, or could you move the tank? I realize you what to use that side of the tank as a viewing pane so covering it probably isn’t in the cards.

edited to add: I wonder if regularly adding live phytoplankton at the right amount could also out compete the film algae? It does sound like manual removal or blocking the light would be the most reliable bet though.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my RS max nano as a penninsula (Although I only really use the right and front to view into it) and the left side is always hit with sunlight. Therefor the film algae growth is Rather thick on the glass. So far all I have is;
2-4 Trochus snails
1 Mexican turbo snail
2 nassarius snails (they will sometimes climb up the sides of the glass to eat it at night)
1 Linear blenny

What do you guys think would be alright in a mixed reef but SPS heavy tank? If it eats ricordea Yuma then I would be happy (I have a 5-6” across R. yuma growing). Also it needs to be safe with small fish as I have 3 fish all less than an inch.
Fish stock is:
Escenius lineatus (Linear Blenny)
2 Trimma tevegae (Tevegae Pygmy Goby)
Discordipinna griessingeri (Flaming Prawn Goby)
Koumansetta hectori (Hectors Goby)
Gobiodon acicularis (Black Clown Goby)
Stonogobiops yasha (Yasha Shrimp Goby)
Macropharyngodon bipartitus (Blue Star Leopard Wrasse) - Temp
Cirrhilabrus naokoae (Naoko’s Fairy Wrasse) - Temp
Move the tank away from the window, or install blinds .

Tanks and sunlight are enemies.

Back