Filter Media During Cycling

Dustinryan2010

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2018
Messages
125
Reaction score
51
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my very first salt water tank this upcoming week, have wanted to get into this hobby for years but was always too intimidated, I’ve done tons of research and now feel ready to take it on. I just purchased the Fluval Evo 13.5 as well as dry life rock from Caribsea, and live Fiji Pink sand. I will be cycyling with Dr Tim’s One and Only as well as his ammonium chloride solution. My question is, should I be running the filter sponge as well as filter media during my cycle? Or should I just remove the entire sponge brick for the first few days at least? All help is very much appreciated
 
Feel free to run it with the sponge. The sponge will help pick up any loose floating debris from when you put things together, and, have the added benefit of being a surface which your benificial bacteria can grow.
I would suggest for the first little while, you rinse the sponge (if necessary) in tank water as to not destroy the hard earned bacteria
 
Feel free to run it with the sponge. The sponge will help pick up any loose floating debris from when you put things together, and, have the added benefit of being a surface which your benificial bacteria can grow.
I would suggest for the first little while, you rinse the sponge (if necessary) in tank water as to not destroy the hard earned bacteria

Should I also use the bag of carbon and Fluval biomax rings it comes with right from the get go?
 
Should I also use the bag of carbon and Fluval biomax rings it comes with right from the get go?
Rings yes, carbon is optional.
If it were me, I would leave the carbon it for the 1st month or so.
Rings are a definite as they are intended to be a surface for beneficial bacteria to grow on.
FWIW, the rings and sponge should only be rinsed in old tank water as I mentioned above. The carbon will need to be rinsed prior to installing to get the dust off. Tap water is fine for this. Most likely, the carbon pack that came with your filter should be replaced monthly.
 
Rings yes, carbon is optional.
If it were me, I would leave the carbon it for the 1st month or so.
Rings are a definite as they are intended to be a surface for beneficial bacteria to grow on.
FWIW, the rings and sponge should only be rinsed in old tank water as I mentioned above. The carbon will need to be rinsed prior to installing to get the dust off. Tap water is fine for this. Most likely, the carbon pack that came with your filter should be replaced monthly.
Thank you for your help!
 
You are very welcome.
Feel free to post up any and all questions. There are many of us here to help!!
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new