Filter media & sump help

JustenT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small sump I’m setting up for a nano reef I’m setting up. I don’t know what media to place in it. I’m doing a protein skimmer. But what should I add for media. A large particle, to a medium, to a floss? Then skimmer? If you can link me stuff on BRS or MD please do so, or even amazon. I’m using 40lbs of Carib sea rock, so do I need a biological media?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a skimmer and maybe some matrix or real ocean rock if you can find it (10x more porous than Caribbsea type stuff). Add carbon in a media bag as needed.
I find filter socks and floss unnecessary, a trap for pods, and just an additional chore. They are fine if you are using sand at start up to catch debris and large particle silicates, but not long term imo.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though you can likely get by without filter socks/floss, for smaller tanks it is REALLY important to keep your levels low. This is just because there is less water volume, so when something goes wrong, it usually goes really bad really fast.

I would recommend:
  • Filter Socks to catch food and debris before it rots and adds to nitrates/phosphates
  • ROX 0.8 Activated Carbon for impurities, water color, and odor
  • Protein Skimmer (You already have) to remove smaller and broken down waste
Beyond this, using matrix would always help, though I would prefer the Brightwell Aquatics Xport BIO - Dimpled Brick. The bio bricks have a lot of surface area and they don't move around making it easier for a sump.

Hope this helps :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back