Filter Sock Alternative

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a pair of some High Flow acrylic filter socks from a company in the UK, and they work amazing! Here is a shot of the bottom and the side of what these acrylic filter socks look like. They will drop right in your 4'' hole in your sump. They slide right in where you would original install your filter socks at on your sump. Filter socks are now the thing of the past. No more buying new socks every month, no more washing them in our washing machine with bleach etc, etc. Ones i Get them in I will install my pair of DreamBox - Silencer // Filter socks inlay so you don't hear any type of water going down the socks..

acrylic filter socks
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.28.34 PM.png

acrylic filter socks
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.24.19 PM.png

Dreambox-Silencer // Filter socks - inlay
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.57.37 PM.png

My custom made sump 36x15''
SumpPix2.JPG

Others have asked and I would like to know who you got those from as well. I wonder if they will ship to the US as those look nice.

Harry Muscle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there's a website ending in co.uk engraved on the top of the acrylic filter sock ... it's just at a really bad angle to make out ... anyone know what that site might be?

Thanks,
Harry

Edit: Did a reverse image search on one of the pictures and found this ... seems to match the website address I mentioned: https://www.littleocean.co.uk/shop/crud-catcher-4-filter-sock-replacement.html

Last edited:

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I like about the cup is that it is quieter than a sock. The water flows into the cup unobstructed, while with the sock, the water hits the seam and is disrupted.

RickG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy that a cup with holes costs as much as it does (or everything in reef aquaria for that matter). I wonder if these would work...

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076HL3KMM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510752041&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=wddh+net+pot&dpPl=1&dpID=41giBKM%2BiYL&ref=plSrch

i ordered the one from marine depot just because im tired of changing the socks. The one you posted looks good, but the diameter is 4.4 in so it would be a tad to big. Ill let you guys know if the ones from marine depot are any good

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use filter socks but for those who do are they submerged in the water or above the water line? Most of the image searches show them submerged. My curiosity wants to know how that effects nitrates and phosphates.

pijao81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ordered the one from marine depot just because im tired of changing the socks. The one you posted looks good, but the diameter is 4.4 in so it would be a tad to big. Ill let you guys know if the ones from marine depot are any good
If you go to a pond shop they will have those black ones in different sizes, they are called "net cups" "netcups" .. And they come also transparent and white... search for them on Google and you will find them closer to your home than you expected.

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ordered the marine depot ones as well. The cups themselves did not fit in my sump as the lip is way to small and just dropped through the hole cut for my filter socks. When I contacted MD they said this was a known issue and why they offer the cups with an additional ring attachment. I thought from the pics the ring was just for the C style sock holders but apparently you need them for some sumps as well. MD did me a solid and sent me one of the rings to try in my sump and see if those would work. I didn’t have a chance to try it out before leaving for a thanksgiving trip but will see if it works when I return.

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try contacting the guy at filterbag.com and asking if they've made socks for the Red Sea Reefers (if they're different than the Max's socks) and had success with making them. Or maybe you could send him a sock that's almost out of commission so they can make it fit identically, but not clog like that. It's the ring of the sock, I assume, why you can't use other socks?

Because they make filter socks for EVERY type of industry (aquarium, oil and gas, ect...) and every aspect of the sock is customizable from the micron rating, size of the sock, felt or mesh and if you want polypropylene felt or regular, plastic rim at the top, regular or drawstring.

Because even if they have to custom make them, which is what I did, I can almost guarantee they would be much cheaper than $10. The only thing with a custom order is you need to get at least 25 socks minimum, unless, like you said, you find another way around it.

I did get in contact with filterbag.com and the fellow I spoke to said they would have to get their plastic ring vendor to make a mold and minimum order for them would be 25,000. They have a company that only supplies them with the plastic rings and they attach your requested material. Red Sea knew what they were doing.
I did get with BRS to ask if they would be able to have someone to have these made. No word yet.

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the media cups for a 525xl sump and in about 2 minutes I can toss the dirty floss and replace it with new floss. Been using for 3 weeks and nitrates are still 0, but I also have an awesome skimmer.

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a big block of aquarium foam, cut into a round shape about a 1/4 wider than the cup diameter, and insert to the bottom. Make an extra set to have on standby. These rinse easily under the faucet and you can also place filter floss on top to extend the change out time.

You’re welcome. My work here is done.

5ed0415335d02dfc9a88780303cc4091.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back