Filter Sock Alternative

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by ReeferDude916, May 20, 2017.

1. Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL Active Member

Others have asked and I would like to know who you got those from as well. I wonder if they will ship to the US as those look nice.

2. Harry Muscle

Harry Muscle Member

Looks like there's a website ending in co.uk engraved on the top of the acrylic filter sock ... it's just at a really bad angle to make out ... anyone know what that site might be?

Thanks,
    Harry

Edit: Did a reverse image search on one of the pictures and found this ... seems to match the website address I mentioned: https://www.littleocean.co.uk/shop/crud-catcher-4-filter-sock-replacement.html

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. RickG

RickG Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

4. nkyreef

nkyreef Active Member

RickG likes this.
  5. squareriggersailor

squareriggersailor Well-Known Member

Another thing I like about the cup is that it is quieter than a sock. The water flows into the cup unobstructed, while with the sock, the water hits the seam and is disrupted.

6. RickG

RickG Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

i ordered the one from marine depot just because im tired of changing the socks. The one you posted looks good, but the diameter is 4.4 in so it would be a tad to big. Ill let you guys know if the ones from marine depot are any good

fishbox likes this.
  7. nkyreef

nkyreef Active Member

I don't use filter socks but for those who do are they submerged in the water or above the water line? Most of the image searches show them submerged. My curiosity wants to know how that effects nitrates and phosphates.

8. pijao81

pijao81 Member

If you go to a pond shop they will have those black ones in different sizes, they are called "net cups" "netcups" .. And they come also transparent and white... search for them on Google and you will find them closer to your home than you expected.

squareriggersailor likes this.
  9. Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL Active Member

I ordered the marine depot ones as well. The cups themselves did not fit in my sump as the lip is way to small and just dropped through the hole cut for my filter socks. When I contacted MD they said this was a known issue and why they offer the cups with an additional ring attachment. I thought from the pics the ring was just for the C style sock holders but apparently you need them for some sumps as well. MD did me a solid and sent me one of the rings to try in my sump and see if those would work. I didn’t have a chance to try it out before leaving for a thanksgiving trip but will see if it works when I return.

10. Grisby_2133

Grisby_2133 Member

Bump. How'd it fit?

11. Centerline

Centerline Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I have two of the cups on a reefer 450 - they fit well. I put a little fiber floss in the once a week for a day...

12. Bigfish of La.

Bigfish of La. Active Member

I did get in contact with filterbag.com and the fellow I spoke to said they would have to get their plastic ring vendor to make a mold and minimum order for them would be 25,000. They have a company that only supplies them with the plastic rings and they attach your requested material. Red Sea knew what they were doing.
    I did get with BRS to ask if they would be able to have someone to have these made. No word yet.

13. Bigfish of La.

I bought the media cups for a 525xl sump and in about 2 minutes I can toss the dirty floss and replace it with new floss. Been using for 3 weeks and nitrates are still 0, but I also have an awesome skimmer.

Cherub likes this.
  14. FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim Shark Advocates Intl R2R Supporter West Palm Beach Reefer Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

I use a pair of these Filter cups that you can get @ Marine Depot! They work ok, but nothing like a filter sock even know they are a pain in the a___ to change!

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 7.27.08 AM.png

vic5hands likes this.
  15. Bigfish of La.

I've got the red ones and love the fact that I don't have to clean filter socks.

16. FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim Shark Advocates Intl R2R Supporter West Palm Beach Reefer Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

What do you put in your filter cups ? b/c if i use the blue filter pads my cups get clogged up in a matter of a day or two.

17. Raptor72

Raptor72 Active Member TRC Member Partner Member 2019

Buy a big block of aquarium foam, cut into a round shape about a 1/4 wider than the cup diameter, and insert to the bottom. Make an extra set to have on standby. These rinse easily under the faucet and you can also place filter floss on top to extend the change out time.

You’re welcome. My work here is done.

[​IMG]

October Sky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted