Filter Sock Alternative

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by ReeferDude916, May 20, 2017.

1. Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL Well-Known Member

Others have asked and I would like to know who you got those from as well. I wonder if they will ship to the US as those look nice.

2. Harry Muscle

Harry Muscle Active Member

Looks like there's a website ending in co.uk engraved on the top of the acrylic filter sock ... it's just at a really bad angle to make out ... anyone know what that site might be?

Thanks,
    Harry

Edit: Did a reverse image search on one of the pictures and found this ... seems to match the website address I mentioned: https://www.littleocean.co.uk/shop/crud-catcher-4-filter-sock-replacement.html

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

4. nkyreef

nkyreef Well-Known Member

RickG likes this.
  5. squareriggersailor

squareriggersailor Well-Known Member

Another thing I like about the cup is that it is quieter than a sock. The water flows into the cup unobstructed, while with the sock, the water hits the seam and is disrupted.

6. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

i ordered the one from marine depot just because im tired of changing the socks. The one you posted looks good, but the diameter is 4.4 in so it would be a tad to big. Ill let you guys know if the ones from marine depot are any good

fishbox likes this.
  7. nkyreef

nkyreef Well-Known Member

I don't use filter socks but for those who do are they submerged in the water or above the water line? Most of the image searches show them submerged. My curiosity wants to know how that effects nitrates and phosphates.

8. pijao81

pijao81 Member

If you go to a pond shop they will have those black ones in different sizes, they are called "net cups" "netcups" .. And they come also transparent and white... search for them on Google and you will find them closer to your home than you expected.

squareriggersailor likes this.
  9. Joel B in FL

Joel B in FL Well-Known Member

I ordered the marine depot ones as well. The cups themselves did not fit in my sump as the lip is way to small and just dropped through the hole cut for my filter socks. When I contacted MD they said this was a known issue and why they offer the cups with an additional ring attachment. I thought from the pics the ring was just for the C style sock holders but apparently you need them for some sumps as well. MD did me a solid and sent me one of the rings to try in my sump and see if those would work. I didn’t have a chance to try it out before leaving for a thanksgiving trip but will see if it works when I return.

Draft saved Draft deleted