Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice input!

edsbeaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my bottles and started to make my first sock replacements. First I have NO idea how you were able to find a bottle so perfectly sized to the Red Sea sock collar, but it is perfect. Let me say, doing this can't be any easier!!! I am so excited about this. Life is going to be so much simpler. Thank you so much for sharing your idea!!!

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens to the filter pad once it is saturated with detritus?
Do you just throw it out?
Probably works really well but seems wasteful for something that can be recycled.

I agree. Honestly you could just pull out the filter pad, put it on your patio, and rise it out with a powerful hose. I would at least use the same filter pad a couple times before throwing it away.

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What silicone did you use? Does it need to be reef safe? Thanks

I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 and like most people I've become tired of cleaning filter socks. As a result, I spent some time searching then internet for inspiration and came up with an alternative that works pretty well using a filter pad. So, here is what I came up with and the steps I used to make it:

1. I cut the sock portion off a filter sock so I ended up with the plastic ring.

2. I searched the Dollar Tree store, Walmart, and any other store I could think of that might have a plastic container to fit the plastic ring. I finally found a liter bottle at a store call Tap Plastic.

3. I cut the top portion of the bottle off and placed the ring around the top of the bottle. I used silicone to glue the two pieces of plastic together (inside top and outside).

4. I then marked a series of holes approx. 1/2" up from the bottom of the bottle, all around the bottle. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled the holes in approx. 1" segments around the circumference. You may need more or less holes, or bigger, depending on your flow. I got lucky and my initial pattern worked great without raising or lowering my sump water height.

5. Once the silicone is dry and the holes are drilled, then I cut a piece of filter pad to fit inside the bottle. You can fill it as full as you'd like. I chose to use a single layer on the outside edge so the water can flow down into the bottle, then though the floss and out the holes.

6. You could make two and simple pull one out and insert another with a clean filter pad or just pull the dirty pad out and replace with clean pad. Easy Peezy, Lemon Squezzy, no filter sock to clean. So far its been three days and everything it working great. I figure if I can get a week out of a filter pad it will be worth it.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any silicon used in your tank needs to be fish/reef safe.
You only put the holes so far up the cylinder so the muck stays in the bottom part without the holes.

Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see another reefer from Sac on here. I goto Tapp Plastics often. Personally, I like the mesh socks because they're so easy to clean. Plus I'd hate to cut up a $15 filer sock.

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How flexible is this setup? Trying to fit into a trigger system 34 sapphire sock holder.

OP
OP
R

ReeferDude916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't have any issues. Because you're using a filter sock ring that fits your sump, once you find the container to replace the sock with it should work just fine.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, i have been surfing the net for examples like this. Agree cleaning the socks becomes a pain in the ooooach! ;Wideyed I am not a big fan of the bleach so changing out a filter pad about every 6 days sound good to me. I will give it a try.

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got them finished and installed today, these filters beat filter socks hands down.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a pair of some High Flow acrylic filter socks from a company in the UK, and they work amazing! Here is a shot of the bottom and the side of what these acrylic filter socks look like. They will drop right in your 4'' hole in your sump. They slide right in where you would original install your filter socks at on your sump. Filter socks are now the thing of the past. No more buying new socks every month, no more washing them in our washing machine with bleach etc, etc. Ones i Get them in I will install my pair of DreamBox - Silencer // Filter socks inlay so you don't hear any type of water going down the socks..

acrylic filter socks
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.28.34 PM.png

acrylic filter socks
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.24.19 PM.png

Dreambox-Silencer // Filter socks - inlay
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.57.37 PM.png

My custom made sump 36x15''
SumpPix2.JPG

Toolman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent idea. I sent for the bottles and I'm going to give it a try.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a very generic answer. Every system has different needs then yours might. Changing them out might be 30 seconds, but cleaning them thoroughly goes well beyond that amount of time, especially for those of us that have dual socks and need to change them out 2-3 times per week.

There's a great video on BRS on a study they did regarding how often socks need to be changed out. They found that by changing them out only once a week, you are not getting much benefit from using any filter socks at all.

The BRS video was addressing only nutrient export - not other reasons to use filter socks. I focus on other methods for nutrient export. But it was an interesting video. I would guess that changing filter pads or other media would need to be done the same frequency as the BRS video (every 3 days or so) so I still dont see an advantage to not using filter socks.

Harry Muscle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a pair of some High Flow acrylic filter socks from a company in the UK, and they work amazing! Here is a shot of the bottom and the side of what these acrylic filter socks look like. They will drop right in your 4'' hole in your sump. They slide right in where you would original install your filter socks at on your sump. Filter socks are now the thing of the past. No more buying new socks every month, no more washing them in our washing machine with bleach etc, etc. Ones i Get them in I will install my pair of DreamBox - Silencer // Filter socks inlay so you don't hear any type of water going down the socks..

acrylic filter socks
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.28.34 PM.png

acrylic filter socks
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.24.19 PM.png

Dreambox-Silencer // Filter socks - inlay
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 6.57.37 PM.png

My custom made sump 36x15''
SumpPix2.JPG
Mind sharing exactly where you got these?

Thanks,
Harry

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back