Filter Sock Alternative

gioNVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this to replace my 7" filter sock. I have an eshopps sump and this thing fits perfect. The only thing I did is seal the upper portion with silicone so that water goes down through the bottom holes. I also used a foam filter to line the walls and then filter floss in the middle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ELW98K

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, a lot of people go sockless and have no regrets. The only time I like socks is cleaning out sand beds or blowing off rocks.

gioNVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would've gone sockless but these also help out in silencing the overflow water.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hate washing my socks! Nice thread!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read on here somewhere there was a guy who put a 5 gallon bucket in his sump. Drilled holes in it, put some filter pads in it and inserted his drains into the bucket. Then when doing water changes he pulled the bucket out and discarded the debris at the bottom and changed out the filters. Almost like a sediment trap. Was a great idea for sure!

Corey

Glasswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea! I like it!

I also primarily use mesh socks right now, but would love to get back to the floss style ones for the better polishing...

My sump is also designed to vortex into the socks which combined with this and the comment above, might make for a very interesting way to trap sediment...

I'm thinking maybe a length of PVC pipe, with a cap on the end, and a 3-4" dead-zone for sediment trap at the end. Fitted with an adapter to make the collar to fit into the standard size sock mount. Then insert filter pad or floss exactly as shown in the OP... With the vortex design in my sump, would likely carry the sediment down to the dead zone, and then force water out the filter floss.

Hmm... *runs off to go design something*

lol :)

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love a filter sock that had an inside sleeve for carbon or GFO. Would that work?

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just what I'm looking for. I'm so tired of using the red sea filter socks for my red sea 250. They clog so quickly, and it's time consuming to wash the socks that never seem to get clean anyway. I was looking for a good way to use disposable filter floss. It's cheap and easy to replace every few days. So happy!!! Thank you for this great diy project!!!!
use the mesh.

Fugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens to the filter pad once it is saturated with detritus?
Do you just throw it out?
Probably works really well but seems wasteful for something that can be recycled.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I don't recall seeing what they did. I'm sure you could just rinse it out and put one back in. Like having a few different ones so you always have one ready. I really wish I could find the thread or post again. i am curious to the rest of it and how they like it. I recall seeing a person use a sediment trap prior to their sump also. Same concept. Trapping debris.

Corey

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to do something like this, but I have the Aqueon Model 3 sump, and there's just no way to get that kind of access to the mounts for the socks.

Le Sigh.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. Solved my problem of not being able to use traditional socks in my non traditional primary filter tank. I'll build a rectangular shaped sock with the appropriate sized plastic container. Just have to find the components.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It takes less than 30 seconds to clean the filter socks on the reefer I have once a week. Seems like a solution without a problem (no offense meant)

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! Another benefit of these is that I can change the porosity of the "filter sock" to be as small or as large as I want. Great application for using lanthanum chloride where a really small micron filter is needed and I don't want to have to keep buying new socks. @TaylorPilot had a post about this in 2015 also.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea. I switched to mesh socks because the felt ones were impossible to clean. Love the creativity!

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 and like most people I've become tired of cleaning filter socks. As a result, I spent some time searching then internet for inspiration and came up with an alternative that works pretty well using a filter pad. So, here is what I came up with and the steps I used to make it:

1. I cut the sock portion off a filter sock so I ended up with the plastic ring.

2. I searched the Dollar Tree store, Walmart, and any other store I could think of that might have a plastic container to fit the plastic ring. I finally found a liter bottle at a store call Tap Plastic.

3. I cut the top portion of the bottle off and placed the ring around the top of the bottle. I used silicone to glue the two pieces of plastic together (inside top and outside).

4. I then marked a series of holes approx. 1/2" up from the bottom of the bottle, all around the bottle. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled the holes in approx. 1" segments around the circumference. You may need more or less holes, or bigger, depending on your flow. I got lucky and my initial pattern worked great without raising or lowering my sump water height.

5. Once the silicone is dry and the holes are drilled, then I cut a piece of filter pad to fit inside the bottle. You can fill it as full as you'd like. I chose to use a single layer on the outside edge so the water can flow down into the bottle, then though the floss and out the holes.

6. You could make two and simple pull one out and insert another with a clean filter pad or just pull the dirty pad out and replace with clean pad. Easy Peezy, Lemon Squezzy, no filter sock to clean. So far its been three days and everything it working great. I figure if I can get a week out of a filter pad it will be worth it.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

It's like a giant refillable keurig! Great idea.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy these made out of acrylic tube that you can put in floss, poly filter, media in bags or even not in the bags. a set of 3ea 4" dia x 7" long is $29 the also make 7" and will custom.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back