Filter Sock Alternative

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by ReeferDude916, May 20, 2017.

1. biecacka

biecacka Well-Known Member

Is that just a sock holder to go over your existing sump?

Corey

2. Kramer

Kramer New Member

These look great. I tried to look them up on 302 aquatics but couldn't find them. Where do you get them?

3. Bruce Burnett

Bruce Burnett Well-Known Member

302aquatic.net or on facebook
    facebook; https://www.facebook.com/Algaescrubber/ or 302aquatics.net

4. TNT32D

TNT32D Well-Known Member

Nice!

5. edsbeaker

edsbeaker Well-Known Member

Thanks, I did think about doing that!

It's not that I'm unhappy about the quantity of gunk that the felt socks collect, just looking for a way to get it without the hassle of cleaning the socks. I think the mesh would allow too much through it for my liking. I like the felts ability to catch fine particles, it's just very difficult to get these socks clean, and a disgusting chore to turn them inside out to wash. Also expensive since they often need replacing. Dollar for dollar, I think long term, the filter floss would be the same or possibly less costly then the filter socks with a lot less work.

This idea just works better for the amount of maintenance I want to do AND gives me the same outcome. Just take out the filter floss, toss it away, and add a new piece...SIMPLE

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  6. edsbeaker

That's a very generic answer. Every system has different needs then yours might. Changing them out might be 30 seconds, but cleaning them thoroughly goes well beyond that amount of time, especially for those of us that have dual socks and need to change them out 2-3 times per week.

There's a great video on BRS on a study they did regarding how often socks need to be changed out. They found that by changing them out only once a week, you are not getting much benefit from using any filter socks at all.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    snappa1953 likes this.
  7. Bruce Burnett

That is why I don't use filter socks. The mesh seem to catch very little and the felt have to be washed. My sump uses three 4" x 7 socks so I only use them when I blow off the rocks.

8. edsbeaker

If this diy project using filter floss doesn't work, I think I will probably join those of you not using socks!!!

9. Ponraj A

Ponraj A Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Its nice idea good job buddy, I am using a 3" PVC pipe with cheap ceramic ring and Bio porous balls in it instead of filter floss. But I am running and power filter in the sump to catch the debris which i will clean once a week. I too the one who is tired of changing and cleaning the filter socks. So far going good. Let the time decides.

10. Bruce Burnett

11. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

NICE IDEA

12. Rory282

Rory282 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Nice solution!

Beats the purpose of DIY but there is a guy in the uk that makes kinda the same thing and sells them in his online shop.
    IMG_2490.JPG.f1128e1774430164d8e25f4cdc63f649.jpg
    IMG_2491.JPG.3033f0b893d95a26e37028cde96f78aa.jpg

Ponraj A and MartinWaite like this.
  13. MartinWaite

MartinWaite Well-Known Member

You just beat me to it @Rory282 lol.

Rory282 and geovento7 like this.
  14. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 Well-Known Member

I don't know how nobody can get their socks clean. Firstly, I started off buying 25 custom made, 50 micron (7x16) socks from filterbag.com. They cost me about $3 per sock with shipping. So there's plenty of extras and you can get any material and with/without plastic ring.

Secondly, after I take out a dirty sock I place it in a home depot bucket and pinch the top of the bag between the folding handle and the bucket, so the bag is suspended and air-dries the bag out back.

Third, I flip the sock inside out, when dry, and stick it in a 2 gallon bucket with screw-on lid (found as a set on Amazon), filled with peroxide to soak them. (I found a place to buy a case of four 1-gallon jugs cheap if anyone is interested). They soak until I have about 6-7 stuffed in there. They I take those and they hit the washing machine for a few rinses.

I never use a hose or sink to rinse them. The peroxide breaks down all the funk. They must also be completely dry when you put them in the peroxide and turned inside out.

If you use socks, you have to have plenty of extras on hand and not be paying $7-$10 a piece for them. I still have half of the socks I haven't even opened yet of the 25. It's effortless.

There was a person that did a microscopic study on cleaning socks and found that bleach just whitens bits of algae in the sock, but peroxide actually removes it.

snappa1953, Nik Buhl and Tim Olson like this.
  15. BAngieB

BAngieB Member

Good job! I think that's a great idea and I'm going to make one for myself. I hate cleaning socks!

16. teller

teller Well-Known Member

I think you can even buy peroxide in powder format, making it cheaper.
    However I am planning to follow the route of a can with pads instead the sock.
    For my application, 34g volume tank, I will test with the small canister we fill with DI, in our RO canister system with pad in the bottom.

17. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 Well-Known Member

Just for people that are buying those blue and white filter pads in large rolls from Amazon, please read the reviews first. Because A LOT of them are so cheaply made, thin, and so porous it's like using nothing at all. I know this from personal experience. They were nowhere near the quality of the Marineland pad of the same type and super compressed. Any small particles would go right through. It's like finding a needle in a haystack because some people got good quality and some people got bad quality, all from the same seller. So it's a gamble which seller to go with.

18. Joeganja

Joeganja Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I just have 4 socks. And do a rotation once a week. I throw them in the washer, no detergent, no softener, nothing. Just put it on hot water with extra rinse and they come out clean. Obviously not white but Idc. I've had the same socks for the past 6 months and not a problem.

19. Centerline

Centerline Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thank you very much for posting this. I have 2 reefers , one at home and one at the office. The office tank is a 425 XL with about 30 fish and a mix of LPS/SPS and requires a clean filter sock twice a week. The felt socks are a nightmare to get really clean so I end up just sticking new ones in and let my company pay for it. At 6 bucks x 2 a week that that 650 or so a year, obviously not a good solution. However the filter pad you used I happen to purchase by 4 ft roll - we use it as part of a filter system on a powdercoat booth. So thanks for the great idea!

20. Centerline

Centerline Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Do you try and turn them inside out? I have been washing filter socks for years and have never ran into anything as hard to get clean as the redsea socks.

Draft saved Draft deleted