Filter Sock Alternative

Kramer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy these made out of acrylic tube that you can put in floss, poly filter, media in bags or even not in the bags. a set of 3ea 4" dia x 7" long is $29 the also make 7" and will custom.

These look great. I tried to look them up on 302 aquatics but couldn't find them. Where do you get them?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

edsbeaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use the mesh.

Thanks, I did think about doing that!

It's not that I'm unhappy about the quantity of gunk that the felt socks collect, just looking for a way to get it without the hassle of cleaning the socks. I think the mesh would allow too much through it for my liking. I like the felts ability to catch fine particles, it's just very difficult to get these socks clean, and a disgusting chore to turn them inside out to wash. Also expensive since they often need replacing. Dollar for dollar, I think long term, the filter floss would be the same or possibly less costly then the filter socks with a lot less work.

This idea just works better for the amount of maintenance I want to do AND gives me the same outcome. Just take out the filter floss, toss it away, and add a new piece...SIMPLE

Last edited:

edsbeaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes less than 30 seconds to clean the filter socks on the reefer I have once a week. Seems like a solution without a problem (no offense meant)

That's a very generic answer. Every system has different needs then yours might. Changing them out might be 30 seconds, but cleaning them thoroughly goes well beyond that amount of time, especially for those of us that have dual socks and need to change them out 2-3 times per week.

There's a great video on BRS on a study they did regarding how often socks need to be changed out. They found that by changing them out only once a week, you are not getting much benefit from using any filter socks at all.

Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very generic answer. Every system has different needs then yours might. Changing them out might be 30 seconds, but cleaning them thoroughly goes well beyond that amount of time, especially for those of us that have dual socks and need to change them out 2-3 times per week.

There's a great video on BRS on a study they did regarding how often socks need to be changed out. They found that by changing them out only once a week, you are not getting much benefit from using any filter socks at all.
That is why I don't use filter socks. The mesh seem to catch very little and the felt have to be washed. My sump uses three 4" x 7 socks so I only use them when I blow off the rocks.

edsbeaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I don't use filter socks. The mesh seem to catch very little and the felt have to be washed. My sump uses three 4" x 7 socks so I only use them when I blow off the rocks.

If this diy project using filter floss doesn't work, I think I will probably join those of you not using socks!!!

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its nice idea good job buddy, I am using a 3" PVC pipe with cheap ceramic ring and Bio porous balls in it instead of filter floss. But I am running and power filter in the sump to catch the debris which i will clean once a week. I too the one who is tired of changing and cleaning the filter socks. So far going good. Let the time decides.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 and like most people I've become tired of cleaning filter socks. As a result, I spent some time searching then internet for inspiration and came up with an alternative that works pretty well using a filter pad. So, here is what I came up with and the steps I used to make it:

1. I cut the sock portion off a filter sock so I ended up with the plastic ring.

2. I searched the Dollar Tree store, Walmart, and any other store I could think of that might have a plastic container to fit the plastic ring. I finally found a liter bottle at a store call Tap Plastic.

3. I cut the top portion of the bottle off and placed the ring around the top of the bottle. I used silicone to glue the two pieces of plastic together (inside top and outside).

4. I then marked a series of holes approx. 1/2" up from the bottom of the bottle, all around the bottle. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled the holes in approx. 1" segments around the circumference. You may need more or less holes, or bigger, depending on your flow. I got lucky and my initial pattern worked great without raising or lowering my sump water height.

5. Once the silicone is dry and the holes are drilled, then I cut a piece of filter pad to fit inside the bottle. You can fill it as full as you'd like. I chose to use a single layer on the outside edge so the water can flow down into the bottle, then though the floss and out the holes.

6. You could make two and simple pull one out and insert another with a clean filter pad or just pull the dirty pad out and replace with clean pad. Easy Peezy, Lemon Squezzy, no filter sock to clean. So far its been three days and everything it working great. I figure if I can get a week out of a filter pad it will be worth it.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg
NICE IDEA

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how nobody can get their socks clean. Firstly, I started off buying 25 custom made, 50 micron (7x16) socks from filterbag.com. They cost me about $3 per sock with shipping. So there's plenty of extras and you can get any material and with/without plastic ring.

Secondly, after I take out a dirty sock I place it in a home depot bucket and pinch the top of the bag between the folding handle and the bucket, so the bag is suspended and air-dries the bag out back.

Third, I flip the sock inside out, when dry, and stick it in a 2 gallon bucket with screw-on lid (found as a set on Amazon), filled with peroxide to soak them. (I found a place to buy a case of four 1-gallon jugs cheap if anyone is interested). They soak until I have about 6-7 stuffed in there. They I take those and they hit the washing machine for a few rinses.

I never use a hose or sink to rinse them. The peroxide breaks down all the funk. They must also be completely dry when you put them in the peroxide and turned inside out.

If you use socks, you have to have plenty of extras on hand and not be paying $7-$10 a piece for them. I still have half of the socks I haven't even opened yet of the 25. It's effortless.

There was a person that did a microscopic study on cleaning socks and found that bleach just whitens bits of algae in the sock, but peroxide actually removes it.

BAngieB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job! I think that's a great idea and I'm going to make one for myself. I hate cleaning socks!

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can even buy peroxide in powder format, making it cheaper.
However I am planning to follow the route of a can with pads instead the sock.
For my application, 34g volume tank, I will test with the small canister we fill with DI, in our RO canister system with pad in the bottom.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for people that are buying those blue and white filter pads in large rolls from Amazon, please read the reviews first. Because A LOT of them are so cheaply made, thin, and so porous it's like using nothing at all. I know this from personal experience. They were nowhere near the quality of the Marineland pad of the same type and super compressed. Any small particles would go right through. It's like finding a needle in a haystack because some people got good quality and some people got bad quality, all from the same seller. So it's a gamble which seller to go with.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have 4 socks. And do a rotation once a week. I throw them in the washer, no detergent, no softener, nothing. Just put it on hot water with extra rinse and they come out clean. Obviously not white but Idc. I've had the same socks for the past 6 months and not a problem.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 and like most people I've become tired of cleaning filter socks. As a result, I spent some time searching then internet for inspiration and came up with an alternative that works pretty well using a filter pad. So, here is what I came up with and the steps I used to make it:

1. I cut the sock portion off a filter sock so I ended up with the plastic ring.

2. I searched the Dollar Tree store, Walmart, and any other store I could think of that might have a plastic container to fit the plastic ring. I finally found a liter bottle at a store call Tap Plastic.

3. I cut the top portion of the bottle off and placed the ring around the top of the bottle. I used silicone to glue the two pieces of plastic together (inside top and outside).

4. I then marked a series of holes approx. 1/2" up from the bottom of the bottle, all around the bottle. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled the holes in approx. 1" segments around the circumference. You may need more or less holes, or bigger, depending on your flow. I got lucky and my initial pattern worked great without raising or lowering my sump water height.

5. Once the silicone is dry and the holes are drilled, then I cut a piece of filter pad to fit inside the bottle. You can fill it as full as you'd like. I chose to use a single layer on the outside edge so the water can flow down into the bottle, then though the floss and out the holes.

6. You could make two and simple pull one out and insert another with a clean filter pad or just pull the dirty pad out and replace with clean pad. Easy Peezy, Lemon Squezzy, no filter sock to clean. So far its been three days and everything it working great. I figure if I can get a week out of a filter pad it will be worth it.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

Thank you very much for posting this. I have 2 reefers , one at home and one at the office. The office tank is a 425 XL with about 30 fish and a mix of LPS/SPS and requires a clean filter sock twice a week. The felt socks are a nightmare to get really clean so I end up just sticking new ones in and let my company pay for it. At 6 bucks x 2 a week that that 650 or so a year, obviously not a good solution. However the filter pad you used I happen to purchase by 4 ft roll - we use it as part of a filter system on a powdercoat booth. So thanks for the great idea!

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have 4 socks. And do a rotation once a week. I throw them in the washer, no detergent, no softener, nothing. Just put it on hot water with extra rinse and they come out clean. Obviously not white but Idc. I've had the same socks for the past 6 months and not a problem.
Do you try and turn them inside out? I have been washing filter socks for years and have never ran into anything as hard to get clean as the redsea socks.

Back