Filter Sock Maintenance improvement

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last maintenance item on my list to improve is sock maintenance. It is now the single most time consuming (and annoying) tasks i have to do for my reef tank. My wife will not allow me to use the washer, so I have been pressure washing them to clean.

I started looking into getting a washer in my fish room, however the price is comparable to an auto filter roller.

Thoughts on the current automatic filter rollers on the market? I have heard good things about the sumps with built in rollers, however mixed reviews on the ones sold separately. To install one of these rollers I would have to cut out some glass in my current sump, which is why I would like to hear from others before moving forward. In the end, a washer may be the best option. Any advice is appreciated!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw them in a bucket of bleach water and let them soak for a day. Rinse well and let air dry. Easy.

Timmtom49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same situation just purchased 7in klir got it in today will keep you only one I can use with out rearranging entire room ... I been hold my filter sock and giving it to one of my buddies he bring it to a Laundy Matt for me and cleand them

OP
OP
Fred2482

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw them in a bucket of bleach water and let them soak for a day. Rinse well and let air dry. Easy.

Bleach over night is great to and gets them brand new

I am absolutely scared of using bleach. I read everywhere people use it, I just feel like I would be the one that screwed it up !

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pressure wash and dry

Okay, I've bleached socks for decades.

Mix 1/8 - 1/4 cup of bleach to a couple of gallons of tap water. Bucket is fine. In washer is better, just no detergent!

In bucket let sit for a day and rinse with tap water. Dry them the best you can and sit out to air dry. Once dry, the bleach becomes inert. Ready to use. Easy. Just have a couple of socks to rotate.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am absolutely scared of using bleach. I read everywhere people use it, I just feel like I would be the one that screwed it up !

I use bleach. No problems. Just make sure you let them dry out for 24 hours. Or you can do what I do and I throw them all in the dryer for 90 minutes on the highest heat setting. Works like a charm!

Back