Filter Sock Roller in a RS 425XL

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ordered a Red Sea 425xl that should be arriving in a couple of weeks. I’d like to eliminate filter socks and install a filter sock roller. Is this possible? If so, which brand/model? Any problems with install?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, with the caveat that you may have to either lose the gravity ATO tank and/or manually remove the sock filter assembly (glass, etc.) Red Sea is coming out with one very soon here that I'm eager to have a look at. I'm hoping it will be as good if not better than the Clarisea.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, with the caveat that you may have to either lose the gravity ATO tank and/or manually remove the sock filter assembly (glass, etc.) Red Sea is coming out with one very soon here that I'm eager to have a look at. I'm hoping it will be as good if not better than the Clarisea.
Maybe I’ll wait and see if they come out with a product that doesn’t require modding the sump.

Thank you for the info.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’ll wait and see if they come out with a product that doesn’t require modding the sump.
Thank you for the info.
Short of Red Sea introducing a v4 sump with their Reefer tanks (which will probably happen), you either have to remove the gravity ATO and/or the sock filter chamber if there's not enough room where the overflow returns empty. If it's any consolation I'm in the same boat. I don't really want to lose my gravity ATO or sock filters - but I'll most likely have to if I want to fit the Red Sea ReefMat.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s possible. I did it in my 250 and 525xl. Just get lots of sharp razed blades to cut the filter sock holders out. And be very careful not to crack the glass. It’s worth it in the end. Good luck.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you waiting a month or so Red Sea's roller mat will be out (its on their website). What they are saying to add theirs would need to cut the filter sock bracket out. I am looking closely at this same tank. In planning phase....

Back