Filter Sock Vs Cup Vs Roller mat

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be setting up a 160 gallon mixed reef tank (60x26x24) inch. So, I was wondering if I should use filter socks with a sponge pre filter on top, or filter cups? Or should I just go with the roller mat? It is a little expensive, but if it is really worth it, then I’ll just go with that or else I’ll use the filter socks and or filter cup (let me know which is better between these two). Also will using a roller mat make my sump cleaner? Like will there be less detritus and all in the sump?

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the cups and floss are a pain,I have mesh socks I use mostly when I need to use a filter,90% of the time I have it opened going to a skimmer and refugium as the only filtration

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clarisea on every tank I own and I would never be without them now. Water clarity, ease of maintenance, and time saved. Game changer for me personally.

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the cups and floss are a pain,I have mesh socks I use mostly when I need to use a filter,90% of the time I have it opened going to a skimmer and refugium as the only filtration
Ah I see. And you tank water is clear or do you have particles flowing in the water?

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Clarisea on every tank I own and I would never be without them now. Water clarity, ease of maintenance, and time saved. Game changer for me personally.
Does it reduce nutrients as well? And does it keep the sump cleaner or is it the same?

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s clear,there’s no more particles than if I put in 100 micron filter socks,if move the sand or blow the rocks off I put the socks in otherwise I leave it free flowing,its what works for me

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be setting up a 160 gallon mixed reef tank (60x26x24) inch. So, I was wondering if I should use filter socks with a sponge pre filter on top, or filter cups? Or should I just go with the roller mat? It is a little expensive, but if it is really worth it, then I’ll just go with that or else I’ll use the filter socks and or filter cup (let me know which is better between these two). Also will using a roller mat make my sump cleaner? Like will there be less detritus and all in the sump?

I went from Filter Socks, to filter cups, to roller...will never go back. Roller for sure.

lvzx14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some 100 micron mesh filter socks which are cheap and very easy to clean. Tho I am interested in the red sea reefmat, just don't know if I want to add yet another ongoing expense.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally only used socks to polish water and remove excess food mechanically. Then switched the feeder type to ensure more of the food stays in the water column as opposed to floating on the top and just drifting into the overflow.

I then switched to cups because washing the socks was pretty annoying and I thought the flexibility of different filter media types in the cups would be helpful. For me, they constricted flow too much, and because I fed generously, they got messy quickly.

Then I made a mistake with a food mix I made and didn't notice until it was too late. I introduce a roller filter (two Klir 4s) to help remove as much waste from the system to prevent decomposition which would exacerbate my nutrient issue. Now, I keep the roller in service, I just use diverter caps in the adjacent sock slots to control the amount of untreated water that makes it to the subsequent chambers in the sump.

If you can swing it, I feel like rollers would be good to plan for upfront. Washing socks are easy and cheap, but it is not fun and can be problematic if you don't stay on top of swapping them out. Never mind the grimacing significant others. I used optical sensors that detected when the socks were "full" and changed them out accordingly, but since I am dealing with a nutrient issue and have a lot of matter passing through the sump - it's just easier to have the roller remove the waste sooner than later.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the roller filter. Get these cheap, short, 3D printed filter cups that fit in the sock compartment. 15 seconds to Change out a small piece of filter floss every week. Game changer!

1662910574588.png

CC282820-EDD3-4DDA-BF1B-75D6885A5435.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back