Filter socks accidently washed with laundry

Linflas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ran my filter socks through washing machine and before I took them out my wife did a load of laundry and didn't notice they were in there so they ran through the complete cycle with the rest of the load of regular laundry. If I run them through the wash on extra hot a couple of cycles will that be enough to remove any traces of laundry detergent and fabric softener from them?

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ran my filter socks through washing machine and before I took them out my wife did a load of laundry and didn't notice they were in there so they ran through the complete cycle with the rest of the load of regular laundry. If I run them through the wash on extra hot a couple of cycles will that be enough to remove any traces of laundry detergent and fabric softener from them?
Just run them through again with water to make sure you got all the detergent off, my father was washing his with his normal laundry for months with no issues lol, glad I visited on laundry day or he'd still be doing it.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run them on a couple cycles of hot. Maybe throw in a cycle with bleach. Soak them in ro water. Check to see if any residue comes out into the ro water.

I'm going to guess that they'll be just fine after a couple rinses. If you can smell detergent on them, keep washing them.

How many socks are we talking about here?

OP
OP
Linflas

Linflas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run them on a couple cycles of hot. Maybe throw in a cycle with bleach. Soak them in ro water. Check to see if any residue comes out into the ro water.

I'm going to guess that they'll be just fine after a couple rinses. If you can smell detergent on them, keep washing them.

How many socks are we talking about here?
4, the 2 originals that came with my sump and 2 others I purchased later. I have 1 pair left and 4 more on order as well.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4, the 2 originals that came with my sump and 2 others I purchased later. I have 1 pair left and 4 more on order as well.
If you're really concerned about it just throw them out, it's not like we're talking about a waking machine full of socks

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should not laugh but I have to. Hope she didn’t realise even later.

wash it again you will be fine.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regularly wash filter socks in the washing machine with detergent. The alkaline nature of the detergent helps to remove adsorbed material. And yes, my particular washing machine leaves some residue, to the point where if I put the socks directly into my system, it would overflow my skimmer.

In my case, I simply rinse the socks thoroughly in hot tap water and use them. I've not noticed any ill effects.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back