Filter socks or filter mat? Or neither?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
569
Reaction score
519
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sump designs have filter socks in place to catch any solid bits of food or poop that make their way down into the system. Other people have roller mats or just regular filter floss to catch the debris. Do you have a preference for one or the other? I swapped out my filter socks for filter floss and it has been much less of a headache to clean. I know some people forego having either to make things even simpler. If so does your tank stay just as clean, or do you have to do extra maintenance on it?
 
Most sump designs have filter socks in place to catch any solid bits of food or poop that make their way down into the system. Other people have roller mats or just regular filter floss to catch the debris. Do you have a preference for one or the other? I swapped out my filter socks for filter floss and it has been much less of a headache to clean. I know some people forego having either to make things even simpler. If so does your tank stay just as clean, or do you have to do extra maintenance on it?
I personally use normal filter floss as its cheap and easy for me to work with
 
The biggest mistake I made was not understanding my tanks needs. My first tank was successful just by running a hand on back filter. Filter rollers and filter socks are good but weren’t needed in my tank. If the bioload is low I would just run a skimmer.
 
I went from filter sock to Nosok and now to Nfleece roller (just ordered it). Nosok probably good idea but doesn't really make things easier nor cheaper (and bult quality is meh ) you just dont wash floss you replace. Hoping roller maintenance will be once a month.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new