Filter Socks + Pods = Bad?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you out there have filter socks in your sump and also have a pod population for your dragonets? I currently have 4 dragonets and will be adding two more. Bad idea to use socks in my sump?

I'm trying to let them multiply on their own without having to replenish regularly. We have a refugium and lots of live rock in our DT.

Am I overthinking this?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll lose pods in the socks I’m sure. Not sure if it’s enough to make a difference though? Having that many fish that depend on pods, I would be concerned as well. Maybe run socks part time?
Edit: I don’t have fish that depend on pods and I do not run socks. I prefer to vacuum the sump every couple months vs washing socks.

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

I have lots of pods and brine shrimp in the refugium inside the chaeto and run constant filter socks with no problem. U loose a minimal amount. I also like having live brine in there as well For my leopard wrasse and mandarins but I have a large refugium. I also have a pipefish in there eating all day and it hasn’t hurt my population. Hope you enjoy
DE45115C-5731-4D02-95FD-F226D6877CFA.jpeg
thx

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

I have lots of pods and brine shrimp in the refugium inside the chaeto and run constant filter socks with no problem. U loose a minimal amount. I also like having live brine in there as well For my leopard wrasse and mandarins but I have a large refugium. I also have a pipefish in there eating all day and it hasn’t hurt my population. Hope you enjoy
thx

Thanks! Cool pipefish! What lighting do you have over your refugium?

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Cool pipefish! What lighting do you have over your refugium?
HI,

thx

Also, how often do you add pods to your refugium?

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a par 38 bulb with homedepot housing . Total cost was 20 bucks lol. IT grows like crazy but I also run a high nutrient tank. I added pods 2 times about 2 years ago and brine every 2 months . I haven’t needed to add pods again they just took off. Adding the brine in there as well helps keep everyone happy. Thx

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the chaeto refugium area like its own ecosystem since it’s 40 gallons just in the chaeto area

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,

thx

Thanks for the tip on the brine shrimp in the refugium. Added yesterday and today and the pods are coming out like crazy. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thats why I like my mesh socks. Im able to save many pods that make it into socks

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used socks I didn’t have a problem in 100 gallon. Had wrasse‘S, mandrian, pipefish. I think if your system can keep up pods the socks won’t be the cause of not having enough. I never bothered trying to save them

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone theoretically create a tank that never has the be fed by establishing a large live food population? What fish would you need to have besides dragonets amd
Pipefish?

BeachBumm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why I like my mesh socks. Im able to save many pods that make it into socks
Same here , mesh socks and swap to felt for a few days and then back to mesh . When I use my mesh filter socks I started a habit of putting a cup or two of carbon in the sock . Not sure if it helps anything but the water does seem clearer .

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone theoretically create a tank that never has the be fed by establishing a large live food population? What fish would you need to have besides dragonets amd
Pipefish?
Seahorses also and leopard wrasse. Not sure how a tank could support that many pod eaters. My mandarin eats a pod at least every few seconds. Lights are on 12 hours and sometimes at night it will scurry around.

customdyna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually empty the pods out of the socks. There isn't a lot of them in there but I just feel better doing it. Plus my chaeto hasn't really grown that much to support a large pod population. I'm not sure why the chaeto isn't growing, I feed twice a day and I have a Kessil H80 Refug-Light too.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back