Filter socks - pros and cons

Gbrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks Pro’s and Con’s

I am starting a DIY sump. Been thinking about whether to put a filter sock in or not. I have mixed feelings about them.

Here are a few of my thoughts.

- (Con) They are a source of constant maintenance, which seems to get neglected. And then they just overflow.

- (Pro) they do filter out larger matter as in extra food and such.

- (Con) every time you clean a sock you are killing off bacteria, washing it down the drain. Which if I understand correctly is the filter we want in our sump and live rock.

Anyways . just curious what others think about them

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not ditch the filter socks and get the Theilling Rollermat? We hadn't run filter socks in years and our DIY sump (45 breeder) had years of gunk in it. When we rebooted last month, we added in the rollermat. It's pricy, but I love it! We feed heavy, so having to clean filter socks can be a pain and the rollermat keeps the left over food out of the sump/water.

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks Pro’s and Con’s

- (Con) They are a source of constant maintenance, which seems to get neglected. And then they just overflow.

- (Pro) they do filter out larger matter as in extra food and such.

- (Con) every time you clean a sock you are killing off bacteria, washing it down the drain. Which if I understand correctly is the filter we want in our sump and live rock.

Anyways . just curious what others think about them

I like them - the amount of crap I pull out I'd rather have out than in. but I would make room for the 7in diameter socks and not the 4. I had to replace 4 in every 1-2 days. But get 3-5 out of the 7in.

You shouldn't rely on the sock for bio filtration so that's Not a consideration.

Many sorry about nitrate source but again if you design a good system of bio filtration this shouldn't be an issue

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrestle with this too - I have the capitol for a Rollermat - but no real estate! As an off, but related topic, are there any smaller versions of a Rollermat-type product?

Regardless - filter socks are great if you stay vigilant but shouldn't be a factor in bio filtration. Strictly mechanical.

reefs+waves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them in my tank because if you change them every day you get to remove detritus before it decomposes. What I do is I have 5 filter socks "they sell 5 packs on eBay for around 15-20 dollars" and then once they get dirty I put them on heavy duty in the washing machine with no soap and they come clean pretty easily.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran felt socks for years and they do remove a lot of gunk. I recently moved over to mesh socks. They catch all the larger particule keeping them out of the skimmer pump but don't clog nearly as fast. I consider it a good compromise. If your designing your own sump, why not plan for them. I still change to the felt ones when I'm cleaning the tank.

OP
OP
Gbrum

Gbrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree that the sock should not be your bio filter. but that matter would create bio in the rest of the tank. kinda of feed the sump idea.

OP
OP
Gbrum

Gbrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at this point i am planning on having a filter sock. just thinking out loud. which i have found to be of benefit. I tend to learn from some of my not so good ideas before they become a reality.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back