Filter Socks Smell Like Bleach

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used the washing machine on a sanitize cycle with a couple caps of bleach to wash my filter socks. I ran it through three rinse cycles, then let them air dry for a full day. I noticed they still have a pretty strong bleach smell. Is this normal, or would you say they still have bleach in them? Concerned about using them on the tank at this point. Any way to ensure the bleach is 100% gone?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a scented bleach?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use a scented bleach?
No, just plain bleach.
551EB628-91EA-42B9-8FA9-7EADD6FF5909.jpeg
F8F1CA4E-B072-476B-B672-C5898743FAFE.jpeg

Vernon Ebron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. try soaking & rinsing with hot water / if able let sun dry. Reef On!
So I used the washing machine on a sanitize cycle with a couple caps of bleach to wash my filter socks. I ran it through three rinse cycles, then let them air dry for a full day. I noticed they still have a pretty strong bleach smell. Is this normal, or would you say they still have bleach in them? Concerned about using them on the tank at this point. Any way to ensure the bleach is 100% gone?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used the washing machine on a sanitize cycle with a couple caps of bleach to wash my filter socks.... Any way to ensure the bleach is 100% gone?
First to your question -- when I'm done cleaning with water/bleach solution, I add Seachem Prime to my last clean water rinse and let things so for a few minutes.

For what it's worth, I don't use the washing machine as I don't trust whether or not there are residual detergents, fabric softeners, etc. So I wash the socks by hand in a bucket. Soak the socks in bleach and water and then wash them. I empty the bucket a few times until the water is running off pretty clear. Last rinse I add a bit of Prime. Takes maybe 15 min or so, but no worries.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First to your question -- when I'm done cleaning with water/bleach solution, I add Seachem Prime to my last clean water rinse and let things so for a few minutes.

For what it's worth, I don't use the washing machine as I don't trust whether or not there are residual detergents, fabric softeners, etc. So I wash the socks by hand in a bucket. Soak the socks in bleach and water and then wash them. I empty the bucket a few times until the water is running off pretty clear. Last rinse I add a bit of Prime. Takes maybe 15 min or so, but no worries.
Try H2O2 instead of bleach in a bucket. Its what I do. Simple and safer than bleach. Has worked for me for the last 3.5 years.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try H2O2 instead of bleach in a bucket. Its what I do. Simple and safer than bleach. Has worked for me for the last 3.5 years.
Thanks for that idea! True on bleach -- I've ruined a t-shirt and always worry about what I touch afterwards since my hands smell like bleach.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that idea! True on bleach -- I've ruined a t-shirt and always worry about what I touch afterwards since my hands smell like bleach.
I spray off the brown matter using a garden hose with a high pressure noze. Then use around 1/8 cup, not measured, in 2 gals of water and let soak over night in a bucket. Rinse and air dry. Thats my method.

Back