Filter Socks Smell Like Bleach

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have done that a few times. I always wash once more w/o bleach (and an extra rinse cycle). Also make sure they are fully dried (at least 2 days for me).

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience you can detect bleach smell at such tiny quantities it’s probably fine. Ive put bleach smelling things in my tank before to no ill effect. The fastest way to get rid of the smell is letting it dry in the sun if it bothers you. The uv and oxygen destroys the bleach as it dries.

thedougen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own socks so i just toss them....but rodi water and prime should work.....works for purgien

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've washed filter socks inside-out in the washing machine with bleach for 11 years, double rinse, air dry. I have noticed a "bleachy" odor before, but I guess it doesn't bother anything!

This is my experience as well. I conduct 3 separate washes.
1: Bleach with socks inside out,
2: no bleach socks inside out
3: no bleach socks turned right side out
4: allow to air dry

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you guys all use bleach anyway. Osmotic shock will kill pretty much any marine based parasites along with any thing else in the sock. And if not the chlorine in the tap will finish the job. All bleach does is turn particulates white it doesnt remove them. I use nothing exept hot water and my socks come out of the machine looking new and smelling neutral.
I also dont have to worry about the skimmer going crazy every time i change a sock

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Why do you guys all use bleach anyway. Osmotic shock will kill pretty much any marine based parasites along with any thing else in the sock. And if not the chlorine in the tap will finish the job. All bleach does is turn particulates white it doesnt remove them. I use nothing exept hot water and my socks come out of the machine looking new and smelling neutral.
I also dont have to worry about the skimmer going crazy every time i change a sock
I noticed the skimmer does that when changing the socks, even if I soak them in RODI for 30-45 minutes before putting them in. Why do the clean socks cause the skimmer to go crazy?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wash them in 34% h2o2 instead of bleach.
If they smell like bleach I would soak them in a dechlorinator then do the above instead of bleach.

I soak mine in One Step (home brew oxy cleaner). H2O2 is a powerful sanitizer which destroys cell walls, and it dissipates very quickly. I am am not sure if the commercial oxy cleaners contain unwanted soaps (which is why I use home brew oxy cleaners) but I that shouldn't be a issue with a decent rinse cycle.

fwiw, the medical field prefers oxy over bleach to sanitize and when I asked my dry cleaner how they get my shirts so white with "green" cleaners, he responded that it's oxy clean.

I am however, going to switch to a media cup and go with disposable filter media pads. I hate washing my socks.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak mine in One Step (home brew oxy cleaner). H2O2 is a powerful sanitizer which destroys cell walls, and it dissipates very quickly. I am am not sure if the commercial oxy cleaners contain unwanted soaps (which is why I use home brew oxy cleaners) but I that shouldn't be a issue with a decent rinse cycle.

fwiw, the medical field prefers oxy over bleach to sanitize and when I asked my dry cleaner how they get my shirts so white with "green" cleaners, he responded that it's oxy clean.

I am however, going to switch to a media cup and go with disposable filter media pads. I hate washing my socks.
Not 100% positive but I think the medical field doesn't use bleach because it is no longer effective like it used to be for certain things, kinda like the over use of antibiotics has evolved antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I have noticed my filter socks come out cleaner using bleach vs just hot wash cycles. If I could buy peroxide as cheap as bleach I'd use it.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% positive but I think the medical field doesn't use bleach because it is no longer effective like it used to be for certain things, kinda like the over use of antibiotics has evolved antibiotic resistant bacteria.

I have noticed my filter socks come out cleaner using bleach vs just hot wash cycles. If I could buy peroxide as cheap as bleach I'd use it.

Check out the home brew supplies. I believe a 5 lb bucket goes for $35. 1 tbls per gallon is the recommended dilution ratio.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I noticed the skimmer does that when changing the socks, even if I soak them in RODI for 30-45 minutes before putting them in. Why do the clean socks cause the skimmer to go crazy?
Its either A- residue from bleach,
Or B-some of the organics are still in the sock they are just bleached white so you cant see them.

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that bleach saponifies the lipids adsorbed to the plastic fiber of the filter sock. Basically this is the same process that turns fat into soap or makes your fingers slippery if you work with bleach without a glove on. Even a little surfactant should be enough to freak out a skimmer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back