Filter socks washed with detergent

Mr marine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi please help I didn’t Relise my filter socks have been cleaned with detergent and I changed them over then realised so took them out but they been in there for a good hour now my skimmer is going mental bubbles everywere on the lowest setting could this harm the fish/corals?

7160C1D1-DC95-4209-AC59-8B4A0C882C92.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could, but it's nearly impossible to predict how much. It could end up doing almost no harm, but it could be bad. It depends on how bad the water is.

I'd keep running the skimmer and replace skimmer collected water with new saltwater. Also, I'd do a big water change. It may not be needed, but you have no way to know.

Take all your filter socks and run them through a wash and a rinse cycle with just water, hot water if you can.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your skimmer is still foaming, and your tank has lots of good stuff in it, I'd do as big a change as you can. On a 115g (roughly) sized tank, I'd do a 25 gallon change. If the skimmer still foams, I'd plan on another 25 gallon change as soon as you can have the water ready.

If the skimmer settles down, I'd be a lot less worried about it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
Mr marine

Mr marine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your skimmer is still foaming, and your tank has lots of good stuff in it, I'd do as big a change as you can. On a 115g (roughly) sized tank, I'd do a 25 gallon change. If the skimmer still foams, I'd plan on another 25 gallon change as soon as you can have the water ready.

Hi Ron
Done a 100ltr water change and straightaway everything is back to normal thanks for the advice

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry too much about it, your animals should be fine. Most all of have done this somewhere along the way.

Run some activated carbon, maybe throw in a poly pad if you want to breath even easier. Skimmer will get the rest.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ron
Done a 100ltr water change and straightaway everything is back to normal thanks for the advice

Glad things are better! ;)

What you had was a problem that there isn't any test kit for, so it's impossible to say how bad the problem really is. So dealing with it as a worst case scenario is the best way. If it's not so bad, then it's fixed quickly.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back