OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I ended up doing was cutting the bottom portion of my 7 inch filter sock off and then attaching some egg crate with some zip ties to the filter sock. The reason for the egg crate is to place some carbon on top of it as needed. So technically there is a sock there but it's not catching anything or trapping any particulates. Inside of my sump I have some a medium size rock of BRS reefsaver rock, skimmer and GFO Reactor I will monitor parameters and see how it goes

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been running 200 micron
-felt clogged every 4 days
-mesh no issues at all
-concerned that the felt is filtering my copods
-now day b4 water change, switch to felt, stir things up a bit and remove day after change....

What about 300 micron felt, do they clog as fast ?

jmt1030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been going through this whole ordeal myself. I hate having to change and clean them, but I love the way the tank looks with them on and it pulls out a lot of nasty stuff from the tank.

underdog493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a mod for a Red Sea Reefer, the guy used acrylic cups that had holes in them in place of the socks. Then put filter floss in the cups. I will being doing this as soon as I can!

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of buying anything what I did was take a filter sock cut off the bottom and attached some egg crate with zip ties. By doing it this way you can place anything you want inside the filter sock on top of the egg crate. i.e. Carbon, filter floss, chemi blue etc

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate filter socks bc they clog in a 2 days and sticking your hand inside to pull them inside out is aweful - If I had unlimited money I would just use them and trash them.
I also have used 2 mesh filter socks which did not clog for a few weeks - However, when the tank was smelling funny I thought it was these so I remove - I am considering going back to the mesh or at least mix it up with one micron and one mesh.

Rcently I have a notice alot of constant White stuff floating in the water colum - Most of its Pods but some I am sure is something else... So I added 2 micron sock few days ago and it helped some but still have more floating white stuff than I can handle so I guess I'll have to live with it or add a sponge to the return - which is probably not good.

After right this post i've decided I will use the bond pad I've used for 10+ years . Cheap and disposable and easy to cut. Best part is you don't have to hold detritus in a smelly sock!

hth https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-P...10&sr=8-3-fkmr3&keywords=blue+bond+filter+pad

Back