Filter Socks Yay or Nay?

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just removed my filter socks for a test run on my system. In my sump I currently run a skimmer and GFO Reactor. My coral and fish are doing good and no issues thus far. I know my sump will be dirty with I will clean. My question is instead of filter socks what else do you run in place of the filter sock if anything at all.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my filter socks! My water is clear enough for my liking and they still turn brown within a week. They pull out a lot of stuff I can't even see!
I'm considering taking them out just to cut back on maintenance. I'd use them again for a day after a water change as I like to use a turkey baster to blow all the gunk out of the rocks.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my filter socks! My water is clear enough for my liking and they still turn brown within a week. They pull out a lot of stuff I can't even see!
I'm considering taking them out just to cut back on maintenance. I'd use them again for a day after a water change as I like to use a turkey baster to blow all the gunk out of the rocks.

that makes sense to use it after a WC to trap all the stuff in the water column then remove after a day or so

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To your original question back when I didn't run socks I put either a powerhead or a line off the return just for flow in the sump, kept the detritus stirred up and not settling in the sump. I still do that even with socks.

This video by BRS was interesting if you have not seen it:

lariat8099

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 Reef that has SPF, LPS softies a great stock of fish. Over size skimmer, and I change my socks twice a week. I set up the note in my APEX and it reminds me to change the two socks and the foam covers on my MP40's. The sump stays clean as a whistle as does my water its Chrystal clear. In fact you can read a book placed on the other end. Spotless. I'd recommend them as long as you stay on a strict replacement plan.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To your original question back when I didn't run socks I put either a powerhead or a line off the return just for flow in the sump, kept the detritus stirred up and not settling in the sump. I still do that even with socks.

This video by BRS was interesting if you have not seen it:

nice video, wonder how people have success with out filter socks

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 Reef that has SPF, LPS softies a great stock of fish. Over size skimmer, and I change my socks twice a week. I set up the note in my APEX and it reminds me to change the two socks and the foam covers on my MP40's. The sump stays clean as a whistle as does my water its Chrystal clear. In fact you can read a book placed on the other end. Spotless. I'd recommend them as long as you stay on a strict replacement plan.

twice a weeks is good, but it's getting out of control for me to change that often

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice video, wonder how people have success with out filter socks
I don't think I have ever heard of a single reefer who could pinpoint success or failure on filter socks. Just a convenient way to keep sump clean for many vs using a bucket head or python to suck out the sump. Although some see less particulate in the display I have never heard of that being the line for failing.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them for the only goal of keeping water clear. Don't care about the nutrient removal or sump cleanliness.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No socks here. Never liked them. I use a filter pad in the sump. Easier to clean, much cheaper, can run any material I want or multiple materials. Socks suck.

i-Bw5NPL5-L.jpg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was banned from using the washing machine after the girl went to change one of my loads of laundry and found filter socks...

I stick filter floss in my first bubble baffle now. I change it out once a week. Does a great job polishing the water.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have ever heard of a single reefer who could pinpoint success or failure on filter socks. Just a convenient way to keep sump clean for many vs using a bucket head or python to suck out the sump. Although some see less particulate in the display I have never heard of that being the line for failing.

Yea I know there is so much mixed reviews, I'm going sock less

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was banned from using the washing machine after the girl went to change one of my loads of laundry and found filter socks...

I stick filter floss in my first bubble baffle now. I change it out once a week. Does a great job polishing the water.

when you change it out you just toss it and replace with new filter floss?

Back