OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take a pic. But I just cut it to a rectangle shape to fit over the filter sock section off my sump. If your hanging socks this wouldn't work

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7606.JPG

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the sponge but in the end, I couldn't figure out how to clean it thoroughly and when I stopped using it, my nitrates dropped. The sponge was only about 1" thick but they are very hard to clean properly.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the sponge but in the end, I couldn't figure out how to clean it thoroughly and when I stopped using it, my nitrates dropped. The sponge was only about 1" thick but they are very hard to clean properly.

How about phosphate? Did you notice a drop?

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't notice a change in the phosphates but to be honest, I wasn't watching them closely as they always check out at zero. Visited a buddy today to review my tank build and he suggested koi pond filter matting. Much more porous than sponge and he says it cleans up just fine by hitting it with a garden hose. I'm gonna try and find some.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
Wanted to start a topic I know has been discussed before.
How is everyone cleaning there filters socks?
I take them all and put in the washing machine add about a half cup of bleach and run on sanitary cycle. Then run another cycle without adding any bleach to rinse properly.
I know you can use hydrogen peroxide I am just unsure if you can use it the way I use bleach and just pour it into a wash cycle?
2 wash cycles on heavy duty. No bleach.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't notice a change in the phosphates but to be honest, I wasn't watching them closely as they always check out at zero. Visited a buddy today to review my tank build and he suggested koi pond filter matting. Much more porous than sponge and he says it cleans up just fine by hitting it with a garden hose. I'm gonna try and find some.

I use a very porous sponge but may try that to see how it works, but let us know if your try it

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back