Filter Socks

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just wanted to get input on what is everyone using with filter socks. I have a 75g sump. My sump has three 4" filter socks. Its a pain to replace and clean them every three days. If I wait till the fourth day, it is overflowing in the fuge, hence not filtering. I looked at the option of replacing with some sort of basket but ... what did you all do? Did you go with a basket or left it completely out? With baskets, I can put filter floss in there and change out when needed. But is it necessary? Are the socks stripping nutrients that is much needed for the balance of life for corals and etc?

Is this the norm to go thru cleaning 6 to 9 socks a week?

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're filling up 3 socks in 4 days?
I can go 2-3 weeks on a single sock before it overflows on my 40B

are you a heavy feeder? i can't imagine what would plug them that fast.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank, how much do you feed the fish, do you feed the corals, how much rock, was the rock cured and rinsed, do you have critters that sift sand, and was sand washed? Stuff like that will help figure out why you are clogging socks so fast.

Also, what micron sock are you using?

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed a cycle. Tank is about 2 months old. I have about 5 damsels are in the 75g sump fuge area. They will be returned to the lfs soon as I dont plan to keep them. The DT has only 3 fishes, several snails and crabs. The sand is from the bag purchased at lfs. The rocks were live rocks from someone else tear down. I'm feeding about 3 times a week once a day. I dont have corals yet but planning to. I never did water change since i setup, I was told to let it run it course. However I plan to do a 50% water change this weekend since today my test on ammonia, nitrite and nitrate showed 0.

Could it be that the socks were plugging up from diatoms? It was brown everywhere and now is it pretty clear.

The socks are mixed 100 and 200 microns. Maybe I should wait a bit and see if it will go longer than 3 days from the cycling.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why people use filter socks??? I have crystal clear water, and have never used one.

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did my 50% water change. Its been 4 days now since the water change and the filter socks are not getting as dirty fast as it previously was. But I'm finding my pods are getting stuck in there. This is something I'm not too sure I want to do. I don't want to lose pods. What did you guys do? Unless its the norm.

I don't know why people use filter socks??? I have crystal clear water, and have never used one.

So what or how did you filter your tank? Mind elaborating your setup?

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to filter media cups recently. Never go back to the socks.

I have been reading up on the media cups. The drawback is everyone who uses the media cup has not mentioned the "how, what and why" except the convenience of cleaning. I'm pretty sure you are using filter floss. Do they clog up just like the socks? How often? due to less feeding or more?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I want to understand before I spend moola and regret it. I'm old school...bioballs and floss media type. Man times have changed and everything is new since getting back into the hobby.

Modest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use filter floss as you expected. I change them Every three to four days. So no rinsing them, just replacing. Done in a few minutes instead of the time consuming cleaning of socks.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a single sock on my 75g. It will clog and overflow every 3-4 days. I never ran socks until my current system and yes I always had very clear water and my sumps stayed clean. It is pretty shocking what filter socks will remove in just a few days.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped running socks 6 months ago and my tank has never looked better, your sump will get dirty but I would rather clean my sump a few times a year Vs cleaning socks every few days.. I do use a cup and floss when doing tank maintenance to catch stuff during that process.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back