filtered fridge water vs rodi system

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of those units. It’s fairly new but my pressure is dropping quickly (input water: tds=85ppm). Did you backflush it? If so, how did you do that, and have you found other pre-filters other than the ones on their website? I bought some generic 2.5” filters that had different sizes interior holes. Thanks
No backflushing. My TDS input is over 300. The blocks last about 6-12 months for me. My pressure drops from 90# to about 75# but doesn't seem to impact production much. Yes one draw back is proprietary cartridges.

Haven't had to replace RO membrane yet. I'll decide then to continue with it, or use unit that can use standard cartridges. The cartridge and membrane are about the same price as others and it works well so really doubt I change anything.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No backflushing. My TDS input is over 300. The blocks last about 6-12 months for me. My pressure drops from 90# to about 75# but doesn't seem to impact production much. Yes one draw back is proprietary cartridges.

Haven't had to replace RO membrane yet. I'll decide then to continue with it, or use unit that can use standard cartridges. The cartridge and membrane are about the same price as others and it works well so really doubt I change anything.
Okay, something is wrong with my setup then. My pressure went down from 50 to 40 psi. It’s exhausting trying to get water out of this thing.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have pressure that low, you may want to get a booster pump. The nominal pressure should be 60# for rated production. I'm on city water at the upper end of pressure so lucky that way.

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is basically nothing but keeping water. RODI water will be 0 tds and starts you off clean. My tap water is around 60 tds and when I check my fridge it’s around 52 tds. If you start with that water, you are already fighting a battle.
It is possible that it could work but not probable and why add all those chems and different media’s where you could just start with good water?
RODI is is essential.
Think it just depends on location. Fortunately I live in Hawaii and my tds tap water was coming in at 5ppm. Testing tap water in location will tell you if it’s possible.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back