Filtration discussion

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone as you know I have a 20 gallon long reef tank, well the other day my hang on back filter sucked up some sand/gravel and I can’t seem to get it to work correctly. I am now in the market for a new type of filtration and want your opinions on what to get. My three options are a hang on back filter, a hang on back refugium, or a hang on back protein skimmer. At some point this year I will be moving to a fully set up 210 gallon aquarium, so all I want to do is buy one of those for the meantime. I understand a lot of you guys would say drill your tank or buy all of them. The only problem is moneys tight and I’m on a budget so any help would be fantastic!!!

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just get another HOB if you'll be breaking this tank down sometime soon, no sense getting anything to crazy that won't be useful later!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using an aquafuge 2 HOB small as my primary nutrient export. Then I run a cannister filter as a media reactor/water polishing. Pretty happy with my set up so far.

You could always run two aquaclear filters and convert one to a fuge for a budget setup

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just get another HOB if you'll be breaking this tank down sometime soon, no sense getting anything to crazy that won't be useful later!
The only problem I have with that is I hate the look lol that’s also why I was wondering if there is something I can use on this tank and then later on the bigger one also what HOB do you recommend for saltwater

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I have with that is I hate the look lol that’s also why I was wondering if there is something I can use on this tank and then later on the bigger one also what HOB do you recommend for saltwater
Can't go wrong with an Aquaclear! It might not cut it on the bigger tank BUT it's great to have on hand if you get the itch to set up another smaller tank. Would be good for a quarantine tank too

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you end up going from your 20 gallon to a 210 gallon, the equipment will not cross over well because the needs (and physical sizing) of both are so different.

Get a new HOB, seconding aquaclear they are great, and when you upgrade keep your 20 as a quarantine as you will need a HOB to do that.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I will get the aquaclear for my HOB now what about HOB sumps/ refugiums and hang on back protein skimmers

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I will get the aquaclear for my HOB now what about HOB sumps/ refugiums and hang on back protein skimmers
if you have space, I cant recommend the CPR aquatics aquafuge 2 enough. You will need to upgrade the pump, but the stock one should work fine for now. You could always get another aquaclear to modify into a refugium.

I looked into hob skimmers and I couldn't find one that I liked. If you dont mind something small in the tank, I was thinking of picking up this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-glass-nano-protein-skimmer.html

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything HOB is going to be grossly undersized for the 210 you have planned.

Unless you plan to keep the 20 running long term, I would save the money for the big build.

If you keep the 20 going then definitely look into the CPR gear. I wish the BAKPAK skimmers were still available. Not sure if CPR went out of business or what, but their stuff is great while unfortunately getting harder and harder to find.

I found a knock off of the CPR BakPak skimmer, Blue Ocean PP75, being a knockoff I cannot vouch for quality but it looks exactly like the CPR model.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a sump for my 20L I wish I did it from the start. I had hob filters at first too im so glad I made a sump, it makes the tank cleaner with less equipment.

Attachments

• 20210910_203715.jpg
    20210910_203715.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210910_195136.jpg
    20210910_195136.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filte...MIq-zl4aiE8wIVBOXjBx2vnACTEAQYByABEgJLf_D_BwE this is one of the ones I’m looking at it’s this between this one https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/t...MIq-zl4aiE8wIVBOXjBx2vnACTEAQYEiABEgLmovD_BwE. Oh and I forgot this one as well https://www.petswarehouse.com/coral...MIq-zl4aiE8wIVBOXjBx2vnACTEAQYFiABEgKwWfD_BwE and just to through in a protein skimmer that’s the last one I promise lol. Also will just a skimmer be enough?

only the last link you provided is a hob protein skimmer and im not sure how much good it will do.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an Aquaclear 70, I have one on my 10g quarantine. There are big enough that you can customize a chamber to be used as a fuge.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO I would just buy a big canister and run Chemipure elite for the 20.

After seeing what can happen with an In-Sump Skimmer, I wouldn't use a HOB- new skimmers like to over-flow and if HOB, it may puke stinky foam and water on your floor.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back