Filtration In a Bottle = Genie In a Bottle?

Do you use any types of "Filtration In a Bottle" in your reef aquarium?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • NO

Votes: 177 56.9%
  • No but may try something in the future

Votes: 35 11.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do 20ml mb7c on dosing pump every night, and 20ml mB7 with calcium carbonate once a week. Tank 75G with 30G sump. I just picked 20ml as a starting point and just kept with it, been doing it for a few months now. It has kept my ugly stages at bay for awhile now, have a slight cyano outbreak right now but is manageable.
I have a 220 total water system, so I should be able to do 20-40 mbc daily--I do about 60-80 once a week. Sometimes twice. I also use mb7 with the calcium carbonate, so will do that once a week. Even twice shouldn't hurt. I usually do after I clean glass and blast/rake sandbed

how do you keep the stuff shaken so it doesn't settle

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see the point of adding bacteria on a regular basis because IMO it may shift your tank out of balance that was achieved over time with the exiting bacteria. I have MB7, used it occasionally never saw a big difference.
KZ probably did a lot of research and they know what they are doing but do not share. So, I do not understand Zeovit users as they have no idea what they are actually doing. If I had enough $$$ I would ICP all their stuff and than consider using it.
Having said that I have been using KZ Spongpower (Got an ICP of it) for several months now and its a an effective filtration in a bottle as it efficiently promotes sponges and (most of) my corals are very happy and my parameters are perfect even though I have many fish that get lots of food (including fresh mussels every day)

WhatsApp Image 2022-08-18 at 11.19.11 AM.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i use MB7, MBClean weekly/biweekly, use prodibio monthly.

soon i will give PNS ProBio a try. used it before, but it was when my tank was new, so i don't have real experience with it in an established tank.

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing DIY coral snow (calcium carbonate) mixed with MB7 every night after blowing cyano off my sand. I just happened to stumble upon the DIY coral snow thread when it was still new while looking for non-ChemiClean methods of dealing with cyano.

While my cyano is still there, my water clarity has improved greatly!
This is exactly what I was referring to in my post above. I happened upon that DIY Coral Snow post and it has changed my approach to water clarity. Don't think I will ever stop

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've recently started dosing PNS ProBio by HYDROSPACE and PNS Yellow Sno, as a food source. Research seems intriguing.
I've also been Carbon dosing and MB7 for quite some time.
Yes PNS Probio and yellosno combo for the win! Also PNS substrate sauce for newer cycling tanks is awesome :cool:

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOPOX but now have GFO so going to try to decrease usage of NOPOX. I'm definitely an overfeeder still have that worry I'm going to starve my fish. Rather them fat and happy and me deal with some dosing/GFO than starve them to death I suppose.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently use anything, but I would consider Lanthinum and Liquid Carbon Dosing filtration in a bottle.
+1 liquid carbon dosing. Its dangerous, even if slightly overdone though. I use NoPox, and ocassionly will dose ProdiBio, but never both of them together. Also, I will never put NoPox on a auto-pump. My fishes started breathing heavy on one ocassion that i dosed 10 ml instead of 7 ml on my 180 Gallon reef. If a pump ever doses 10-15 ml in my absence i will have a fish wipeout.

On the plus side- my nitrates and phosphates are at a tenth of a ppm, my GHA has vanished, my Dinos have vanished (never had to do a blackout), and my refugium has taken off. Now i run 14 hour light cycles, and i have a white 1-inch layer of sand with bristleworms as my only sand-sifters (sort of regretting getting the Bella gobies that will arrive tomorrow and within one year will eventually jump out of my reef).

I heavy-feed my reef with live-phyto, homegrown brine shrimp naupli, LRS reef frenzy and Nori. I have no sump and I havent done a water change in the past 5 months. I intend to keep it that way, but mother nature really isnt that kind to us reefers.

Last edited:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do 20ml mb7c on dosing pump every night, and 20ml mB7 with calcium carbonate once a week. Tank 75G with 30G sump. I just picked 20ml as a starting point and just kept with it, been doing it for a few months now. It has kept my ugly stages at bay for awhile now, have a slight cyano outbreak right now but is manageable.
Do you shut you skimmer and uv off every night? I have 220g so am thinking I could start with 20 ml, which is about half of what you do. And ease up to 40 ml. And do the mb7 and snow once a week. I do the snow once a week, so I'll just add mb7 to it. How do you keep it shaken?

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find this thread interesting and wonder how much it relates to the Biome cycle experiment currently under way at BRS. There is a ton of real experience out there in fighting this like cyano that work for some but not for others. I get the impression that is because the things that are unseen and untested in our tanks make more of a difference than we thought, and a little bit of a shotgun approach "may" fix it, but it might not.

That said, @ReefGeezer , have you tried adding a healthy dose of copepods to your tank? That is probably pretty close to "filtration in a bottle"!

Just curious. It helped mine, and I tried every non-chemical remedy, but I ended up having to use chemiclean at half the recommended dose to finally get rid of it. I am sure it was a biome imbalance issue, but since I didn't and can't measure that now, I will never know.

I have to agree with this... Since we started growing pods and dumping the excess into our tanks, they look a WORLD BETTER. Virtually no algae, no cyano, etc. I'm not saying phyto and pods solve every problem, but they definitely help.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with this... Since we started growing pods and dumping the excess into our tanks, they look a WORLD BETTER. Virtually no algae, no cyano, etc. I'm not saying phyto and pods solve every problem, but they definitely help.
except bryopsis! What we need is something in a bottle for that!!

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose MB7 and calcium carbonate (reef snow) twice a week. During my Maintenance and testing days

I dose tropic Marin NP-Bacto-Balance daily in morning

I dose tropic Marin All for Reef .

I am pretty much committed to this dosing regimen,

Thinking of adding kalk to this as my SPS are growing really well and I have ever increasing demands for All for Reef

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back