Let it snow!!! Have you ever used reef snow (or other food in a bottle)?

Have you ever used reef snow (or other food in a bottle)?

• I currently use reef snow (or comparable).

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • I have used reef snow (or comparable) in the past.

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • I have not used reef snow (or comparable), but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 19.7%
  • I have no plans to use reef snow (or comparable).

Votes: 74 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let it snow!!! Have you ever used reef snow (or other food in a bottle)?

There are many ways to provide nutrition to our fish and corals including live foods, frozen foods, pellets, flakes, dried powders, and more. Some of these foods may even come in a bottle of liquid (or start with a powder to be mixed in a liquid). These types of products may include both organic and inorganic nutrients that mimic the marine “snow” that is found in the ocean. Please let us know if you have ever used reef snow (or other food in a bottle)? If so, feel free to share tips and recommendations relating to this type of product that may be helpful to other reef keepers.

Atoll_FTS.jpeg

Photo by @atoll

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY coral snow “calcium carbonate” mixed with zeobac, zeo food,zeozyme,mb7 and occasional reef roids if my po4 is low.. I call it zeo milk and use it twice a week! Tank is super happy with it!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dose 40 ml of a DIY Coral Snow solution every night. 97+% pure CaCo3 powder, TM pro coral phyton, and TM Zooton in RODI.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef (coral) snow, i.e. calcium carbonate is FOOD? I thought it was just a flocculant, or are we talking about something different?
It’s not but it’s a great binder to add bacteria and food too.. it coats surfaces and keeps the uglies away! Aiptasia love it! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Mine have exploded with growth as has my corals.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I use aquavitro fuel. When I am consistent I see a difference in my tanks.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef (coral) snow, i.e. calcium carbonate is FOOD? I thought it was just a flocculant, or are we talking about something different?
It is actually a bit of both. The CaCo3 powder serves as a flocculent to remove suspended matter from the WC. That, in turn, can be picked up by polyps and consumed. TM's product, however, is purely a food additive.

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/
Just wanted to say thanks to the sponsor. Easy to forget that a lot of what we see and have opportunities to win and such wouldn't be possible without them.

Just dosed some NutraMar PhytoCrit to a new build for the pods that are exploding. I also use it to soak some of my pellets, powdered coral foods, and I added a couple drops of Kent Marine Garlic Extreme. Not exactly a Reef Snow, but after reading someone saying their aiptasia love it...I'm no inclined to even want to try it!

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t started using it yet but I ordered some yesterday so I could start, thus I picked other. It should have gotten here today but the package was damaged so they sent it back to Amazon.

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using coral snow for vermatid snails. My tank is full of it secondary to the fact I did not realize what it was and now I have a lot. I have been trying to manually scrape off but there are places I cannot reach short of removing my aquascape. I have a 32 g Biocube and there are many on the undersurfaces of caves, etc. I also have bumble bee snails. In my research I have come across coral snow being used. Anyone have experience with this to combat vermatid snails. Any advice would be appreciated.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the original KZ coral snow, in the past, which is basically a water clarifier. The other brands calling their products coral snow are more plankton like mixed with other stuff.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back