Filtration in New Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter ebash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ebash

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2019
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Location
San Antonio, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’m fixing to set up my first tank in the next few months so I’ve been planning the sump I’m going to have for my tank. It’ll be a 90 gallon display tank with a 20 gallon sump.

I plan on having the drain empty into a filter sock and have a protein skimmer in the same first chamber of the sump (I’m planning on getting the Reef Octopus SSS110 space saver protein skimmer).

For the middle chamber, I was planning on either a refugium or seachem matrix. I wasn’t too sure on which one is better or worse so I was wondering what everybody’s experience is with these two options.

The third chamber will have the return pump back to the display tank.

Let me know what you think! I appreciate you helping out!
 
I had the 110 classic skimmer for my 100 gallon tank and have since upgraded to the 150 classic. My first thought was the 110 was sufficient but I have to tell you I’m glad I move to the 150. What a difference it made for my tank. Just food for thought you may want to look into a bigger skimmer
 
Hello Ebash, I assume your a new member? If so. Welcome We can halp ya with any question sYou may nave. I personally like a decent light & macro algae& refugium for the center sections of my sumps.
 
I am a new member! Thank you for the welcome and the response. Do you think a refugium and matrix together would be overkill?
 
hey ebash, I don't see why not, but You have a long way to go before thinking about excess nutrients.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new