Filtration media for a reef tank

vishal1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello dear reefers,
A question that I thing most of us wonder is what to use and what not to use as a filter media when it comes to a bio filteration.

1st: very basic thing we all are recommended by others is ceramic rings and bio balls,
do we really need them if we are willing to add lot of denitrate by seachem, life bio fil by aquaforest and other rocks as they also give home to various beneficial bacteria.

2nd: mechanical filtration: its must in the 1st phase of filtration to remove all the uneaten food and hard removals but do we really need to add several layers of filter foams and all all over the sump.

3rd chemical filtration: we all have challanges in our tank and we all put different chemical medias in our sump to deal with nitrates, phosphates, aglie, I personally like to use Aquaforest phos minus for phosphate and refugium for nitrate with some dosing of all for reef and some times vodka for immediate actions.

would like to know all your thoughts on this, please share your experience with all the challanges you guys had and what you did to resolve it along with what you guys think of other types of filtrations.

//your experience will help a lot of people in happy reefing.

one note from my side, I live in India and i literally have to pay more then twice for all the suff like i have 125gallon tank with all the equipment that would have costed me about 1000$, instead it coasted me around 2500$. so any Indian who happen to have good dealers around please let me know as well.

Thanks.:)

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man these questions will have a lot of different answers as I think personal preference really plays into how one designs there tank.

1. as for biologic filtration the decision to use extra biologic media is probably based on how much live rock your display has. Continuous dosing of bacteria is likely less stable than having the appropriate amount of biologic filtration. I use live rock and Marine Pure blocks.

2. Mechanical filtration. I'd say filter socks are the most common form, not multi layers of mechanical filtration. Once again personal preference plays in huge here. Many reefers don't use any as they feel it filters out beneficial life from the tank. I use filter socks and just occasionally vacuum my sump.

3. Chemical. Personal preference again. Some use none. Some use lanthium chloride, GFO, etc. I don't actively manage nitrates. I generally like to add as few chemicals as possible but dose LC to control phosphates.

Overall I think each reefer will have different thought on each of these for their own tank.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any media meant to encourage bacteria growth like ceramic rings, bio balls etc is snake oil and devoid of any rational logic. Bio wheels and wet/dry filters are at the same carnival booth.

Common bacteria involved in the nitrogen cycle are limited by the ammonia in your tank. They are not limited by gadgets and media. This isnt an opinion. Its a fact proven by biological science. Why would any rational reef keeper want their critical biological filter tied to an external filter that requires electricity? As Yoda would say "sense: it makes none".

I prefer good old filter floss. A cannister stuffed full of the stuff polishes your tank like a boss and has good capacity. We then have generic AC which grabs even finer particles. The problem with AC is it depletes rapidly in a fish tank environment. I use it occasionally.

A bag full of biopellets if you want to beat down nitrate and dont want to fuss with chaeto.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel if you have enough live rock then any bio balls or blocks is a waste of money. I use a simple HoB filter with floss and carbon. If needed I'll add chempure. Other than that I use a skimmer.

OP
OP
vishal1107

vishal1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wao,
Literally thank you all. Learning from it is keeping it simple and clean, as main tank is already loaded with porus for bacterias...

And only to use few medias not included in main tank like skimmer, socks, carbon, phosphate minus. And reffuge..

Thanks guys for clarity it really helped.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back