Filtration question

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to over filter an aquarium. I have a 20 gallon high tank. I have a Marineland penguin Pro 125 filter and Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 for up to 30 gallons. Is this to much filtration? And if it is to much, would it still be to much if I slowed the flow down on the Marineland filter? Thank you for all advice.

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of what’s in the tank as well. About 3 fish missing from photo. 2emerald crabs and 1 orange spotted gobie

Attachments

• 63D00969-231F-4819-AE98-E9BF9E3C416C.jpeg
    63D00969-231F-4819-AE98-E9BF9E3C416C.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your nitrate and phosphate levels. Have you tested those?
I’ve tested them right now there’s not any present. I recently upgraded to this tank from a 10 gallon. And only reason I upgraded is because my clowns started to rip apart apart my gobies tail.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you do want some nitrates and phosphates for things to thrive. When they bottom out this usually leads to other issues. I would probably be inclined to just run one - whichever is quietest and easiest to clean and maintain.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it possible to over filter an aquarium. I have a 20 gallon high tank. I have a Marineland penguin Pro 125 filter and Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 for up to 30 gallons. Is this to much filtration? And if it is to much, would it still be to much if I slowed the flow down on the Marineland filter? Thank you for all advice.
No and may be inadequate. Why do i say that - Your tank needs a combination of mechanical-chemical and biological filtration.
Both hang on units may not provide adequate water flow, but addition of power heads will make up for that. These hang on units are also Mechanical filter units. Athough the penguin has a bio-wheel, it is Minimal biological capability.
These units will polish the water with no effort but you have to be able to dissolve /remove waste.
A protein skimmer such as IceCap K1-50 may help and its a hang-on unit.
What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you do want some nitrates and phosphates for things to thrive. When they bottom out this usually leads to other issues. I would probably be inclined to just run one - whichever is quietest and easiest to clean and maintain.
No and may be inadequate. Why do i say that - Your tank needs a combination of mechanical-chemical and biological filtration.
Both hang on units may not provide adequate water flow, but addition of power heads will make up for that. These hang on units are also Mechanical filter units. Athough the penguin has a bio-wheel, it is Minimal biological capability.
These units will polish the water with no effort but you have to be able to dissolve /remove waste.
A protein skimmer such as IceCap K1-50 may help and its a hang-on unit.
What test kits are you using ?
Thank you so much

Vaundey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over-filtering a reef tank isn't really the issue, its overspending. To achieve your circulation needs with just the flow generated by filters is an inefficient strategy, that's why we use circulation pumps/powerheads alongside our filters.

Rough numbers for reference, to be clear these are not rules but can be useful guidelines for the less experienced: while you might only need in the ballpark of 5x to 10x tank volume turnover (as in flow rate, gallons per hour) through your filtration, for an SPS dominant tank your coral could benefit from a total of 20x or even 30x tank volume total circulation. For example on your 20 gallon, that would leave you trying to filter up to 600 gallons per hour! Very expensive to achieve with filters, much cheaper with powerheads. That's why it is important to distinguish between the two.

Flowing extra water through filters won't hurt your tank, only your bank account.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Over-filtering a reef tank isn't really the issue, its overspending. To achieve your circulation needs with just the flow generated by filters is an inefficient strategy, that's why we use circulation pumps/powerheads alongside our filters.

Rough numbers for reference, to be clear these are not rules but can be useful guidelines for the less experienced: while you might only need in the ballpark of 5x to 10x tank volume flow through your filtration, for an SPS dominant tank your coral could benefit from a total of 20x or even 30x tank volume total circulation. That's why it is important to distinguish between the two.

Flowing extra water through filters won't hurt your tank, only your bank account.
If you can find a used hang-on-back (HOB) refugium, it will replace these units and provide mechanical-CHEMICAL- BIOLOGICAL coverage
Reef octopus and CPR backpack are popular units

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rough numbers for reference, to be clear these are not rules but can be useful guidelines for the less experienced: while you might only need in the ballpark of 5x to 10x tank volume turnover (as in flow rate, gallons per hour) through your filtration, for an SPS dominant tank your coral could benefit from a total of 20x or even 30x tank volume total circulation. For example on your 20 gallon, that would leave you trying to filter up to 600 gallons per hour! Very expensive to achieve with filters, much cheaper with powerheads. That's why it is important to distinguish between the two.

I have a power head in the tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back