Filtration ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fire45
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fire45

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2015
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Blacksburg VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every one. I have a 20 long and am looking to upgrade my mechanical filtration to something a little better for my tank. I have heard a lot about the marine land c160 canister filter. I have heard a lot of no and a lot of yes. Just looking to get some more advise before i make a purchase. I have 15 pounds of live rock 3 clowns a few snails and crabs. due to my tank location i do not have a sump nor can i put one in and do not have a protein skimmer. i do water changes every 2 weeks. i like the idea of using a canister since it will clear up the tank and put stuff out of the way. Anyways any helpful advice would be nice thank you.
 
Why can you use a canister but not a small sump? I'd look at a hob skimmer before a canister filter and a large hob filter easier to maintain then canister. People tend to get neglectful of canisters more it seems then it's more problems then benefit.
 
We have a standard 29g mix reef and I just have a HOB and no sponge or mechanical filtration, just a bag of carbon. I just do water changes every two weeks and about a gallon manual top off and no issues. 2 cleaners shrimp, 1 fire shrimp and few snails does the job on detrius =)
If you are leaning towards HOB, look into Aquaclear. Others make it into a small refugium.
 
+1 Aquaclear HOB filters

Those sponge inserts are real easy to access and clean if need be. You can also run GAC or GFO in that compartment as well.
 
You can use a canister if you want. Just remember to keep it clean as with any filter. It does require a little more work to clean but not to bad. They are kind of nice for the reason you can run different filter media in them at one time.
 
I've used an AquaClear HOB in the past. I like having a larger one for more GPH. AquaClear filters are easy to clean too.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new