Filtration

  • Thread starter Thread starter kozzy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kozzy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2015
Messages
299
Reaction score
52
Location
Vancouver
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46 gallon with a canister filter that has carbon, and 3 filter pads in side. Should I keep it running? Other say they make nitrates high and all I need for filtration is my skimmer and live rock. I also have a uv sterilizer
 
Canisters are not all that bad if maintained properly.
And true the skimmer will pull out your DOC's as canisters do not do that
 
Canisters are not all that bad if maintained properly.
And true the skimmer will pull out your DOC's as canisters do not do that
What would you say I need to do to make it efficient
 
I ran a nac5e for a long time until I installed a sump and went with the helix 5000 skimmer.
Now the nac grows dust lol
 
I ran a nac5e for a long time until I installed a sump and went with the helix 5000 skimmer.
Now the nac grows dust lol
I don't think my skimmer is very good. How can I tell it's doing it's job. It's just a hang on back one
 
I don't think my skimmer is very good. How can I tell it's doing it's job. It's just a hang on back one
You can tell by color, smell and volume produced.
If its dark and nasty within a few days it is doing its job.
If its thin looking and smells like saltwater then its just pulling salt out of the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new