Fin nipping

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had a Midas blenny and a royal gramma together for the past 2 or 3 months and the Midas has become dominant over the gramma. He has now nipped his tail fin twice in those months. While the first nip healed in a matter of a few weeks, it’s still something I was being cautious about and now that there’s been a second nip, I’m confused on what I should do. Should I just let it happen, separate them, or return one of the two fish

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i can only speak from experience, but i had the same issue with my midas blenny and a court jester goby… they were both perfectly fine and then later on the blenny started to bully the goby… nipping his fins. i added another fish and the blenny has calmed down/stopped bullying the goby. what’s weird about it is that it was a yellow coris wrasse that i added that subdued the bullying. so far so good and it’s been over a month.

so perhaps adding a new fish MAY help, but i cannot really verify if it will work or not because it only did in my case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can only speak from experience, but i had the same issue with my midas blenny and a court jester goby… they were both perfectly fine and then later on the blenny started to bully the goby… nipping his fins. i added another fish and the blenny has calmed down/stopped bullying the goby. what’s weird about it is that it was a yellow coris wrasse that i added that subdued the bullying. so far so good and it’s been over a month.

so perhaps adding a nee fish MAY help, but i cannot really verify if it will work or not because it only did in my case.
Plan to add some more fish soon but good to know.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Plan to add some more fish soon but good to know.
some people do say to add a semi-aggressive fish if you have some fish aggression. but it may either make matters worse or not help at all since that fish may just only defend itself.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back