Fin Rot 2nd opinions

delusions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium type: Quarantine
Aquarium water volume: 30 gallons
Filtration type: none - plan on small, frequent water changes. ~5 gallons weekly. Maybe add a HOB skimmer for aeration?
Lighting: none / light from main tank adjacent to it + daylight
How long has the aquarium been established?: 2 days. LR from existing tank. 50/50 mix of existing reef tank water and new batch.
Digital image of the aquarium under white light: N/A - bare bottom QT/ Gyre 150 flow - lowest settings

Water quality
Temperature
: 79
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.023
All other measurements within acceptable ranges.

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?
No
Are any invertebrates affected? N/A
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? None

I need a second opinion. I picked up a yellow and chevron tang from a reefer breaking down their tank. Both appear to have pretty advance fin rot and HLLE. I am unsure of condition that they came from other than the tank was setup as a reef and was 150g. Both fish swim okay, albeit a bit awkwardly but can get around. Prior owner said they have been this way for a while. Both fish are approximately 3.5"/4".

I was going to start treatment, but after picking them up I was worried that they were underweight. Plan is to let them get more comfortable in the tank (day 2 so far and they have free swam/explored a bit) and get their weight up with mysis + selcon and nori then start treatment; both are already eating some mysis.

I was going to do a Furan 2 treatment and kanaplex since i think they work in conjunction? 2nd opinions? I appreciate the feedback. I hope to get them healthy and re-home them to larger tanks.

Thank you for your time and input.

1st pic of fish is from original tank
2nd is from QT
yellow.jpg
yellow 2.jpg
chevron.jpg
chevron 2.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those fish have severe HLLE. That isn't reversible once it reaches this stage. They could have other issues as well, because the open skin is prone to various infections over time. If they are eating well and breathing normally, I wouldn’t treat them with antibiotics.

Jay

Last edited:

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium type: Quarantine
Aquarium water volume: 30 gallons
Filtration type: none - plan on small, frequent water changes. ~5 gallons weekly. Maybe add a HOB skimmer for aeration?
Lighting: none / light from main tank adjacent to it + daylight
How long has the aquarium been established?: 2 days. LR from existing tank. 50/50 mix of existing reef tank water and new batch.
Digital image of the aquarium under white light: N/A - bare bottom QT/ Gyre 150 flow - lowest settings

Water quality
Temperature
: 79
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.023
All other measurements within acceptable ranges.

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?
No
Are any invertebrates affected? N/A
Are the affected fish still feeding? Yes
What remedies have you tried so far? None

I need a second opinion. I picked up a yellow and chevron tang from a reefer breaking down their tank. Both appear to have pretty advance fin rot and HLLE. I am unsure of condition that they came from other than the tank was setup as a reef and was 150g. Both fish swim okay, albeit a bit awkwardly but can get around. Prior owner said they have been this way for a while. Both fish are approximately 3.5"/4".

I was going to start treatment, but after picking them up I was worried that they were underweight. Plan is to let them get more comfortable in the tank (day 2 so far and they have free swam/explored a bit) and get their weight up with mysis + selcon and nori then start treatment; both are already eating some mysis.

I was going to do a Furan 2 treatment and kanaplex since i think they work in conjunction? 2nd opinions? I appreciate the feedback. I hope to get them healthy and re-home them to larger tanks.

Thank you for your time and input.

1st pic of fish is from original tank
2nd is from QT
yellow.jpg
yellow 2.jpg
chevron.jpg
chevron 2.jpg
I’m so thankful you are caring for these fish.
Ive had success feeding nori with selcon added and LRS with beta glucan added.
@Jay Hemdal what antibiotics would you use for this scenario?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so thankful you are caring for these fish.
Ive had success feeding nori with selcon added and LRS with beta glucan added.
@Jay Hemdal what antibiotics would you use for this scenario?
Sorry! That was a typo, I meant I wouldn’t treat them, I’ll fix that right now!
Jay

OP
OP
D

delusions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. I understand that the HLLE is likely not reversible at this stage. What about the fin rot? I would like to help them both out so that their fins heal so they can swim "normally", however am not sure what treatment i should do if any. Are they destined to remain this way?

If treatment is an option, what is your recommendation (Furan 2, Kannaplex, Cupromine [sp?], etc?).

Again, thank you for the input. I appreciate you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. I understand that the HLLE is likely not reversible at this stage. What about the fin rot? I would like to help them both out so that their fins heal so they can swim "normally", however am not sure what treatment i should do if any. Are they destined to remain this way?

If treatment is an option, what is your recommendation (Furan 2, Kannaplex, Cupromine [sp?], etc?).

Again, thank you for the input. I appreciate you.
Sorry, I should have clarified - on some tangs, especially YT, the “fin rot” is actually the way HLLE manifests itself in that species...notice the smooth rounded margins? There isn’t any bacteria at work here, just severe HLLE.
Jay

OP
OP
D

delusions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your feedback. is there anything to do besides diet that may help at this point (selcon)? The tail of the Chevron is victim of the HLLE as well? Thank you again for your input.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your feedback. is there anything to do besides diet that may help at this point (selcon)? The tail of the Chevron is victim of the HLLE as well? Thank you again for your input.
Yes == they both have HLLE, the species just show it differently. There are no studies that show that HUFAs (like in Selcon) have any benefit in curing HLLE. I've never seen the fin damage on a yellow tang repair once it gets that bad, but in the survey I did, in 80% or so of the cases where this resolved, it was due to either the fish being moved to a new tank, of stopping the use of soft carbon. Since you moved the fish when you acquired them, just avoid soft carbon. That said, as I've mentioned, once the scars develop to a certain degree, they don't heal. Good Luck!

Jay

Lizalots

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your yellow looks just like the yellow I recently rescued! His color is coming back but I doubt his fins.
64A882DA-01AE-45E3-A4BD-589C5312FBEB.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back