Finally a use for my 12 year old iPad

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoying the Grafana/ Prometheus functionality in reef-pi. The ipad 2 can surprisingly run VNC viewer really well so it’s essentially a Remote Desktop to the Pi4. Running chromium in kiosk mode makes this look like a nice app vs a browser. I just have everything start during start up. Great job to the reef-pi community

IMG_7319.jpeg

IMG_7320.jpeg

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoying the Grafana/ Prometheus functionality in reef-pi. The ipad 2 can surprisingly run VNC viewer really well so it’s essentially a Remote Desktop to the Pi4. Running chromium in kiosk mode makes this look like a nice app vs a browser. I just have everything start during start up. Great job to the reef-pi community

IMG_7319.jpeg
amazing

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You are giving me some ideas to try.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice !! I was thinking about the same thing. . but I was going to use a portable monitor XD... might do this instead.

OP
OP
D

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea.. didnt think about using vnc...got me thinking as well... I think I have at least 3 of them laying around.
Worth a shot for sure. You can have Grafana on one and Reef-Pi dashboard on another for one tap feed mode

It’s all running on my Pi4 which is definitely having to provide some effort above 0.1% for the first time. Probably want 2 GB of RAM if you want to run Prometheus (data collection), Grafana (plotting), and VNC

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 and the pi ran a little warm the bigger issue was with the sdcard... I had to run an external HD... I have a x86 box that I am setting up in a little homelab that I will run it off of.
wish I had enough room to have a server room .. i'm currently look at Mini PCs on Ebay.. used ones are so cheap now a days and its crazy just how much less they are then Pis

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish I had enough room to have a server room .. i'm currently look at Mini PCs on Ebay.. used ones are so cheap now a days and its crazy just how much less they are then Pis
Haha...my "lab" consists of an old synology, a Unifi Dream router, 2 2018 X1 thinkpads one windows and one ubuntu ,and a 2021 m1 mac pro doesn't take up much room at all..... on the reef side the reef-pi/robo-tank and an old a2 apex pro eb832

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back