Finally got my firefish to come out!

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I added a flasher wrasse to my tank which originally had 2 clowns and a firefish. When the flasher wrasse first went in, it was flashing all over the place, which spooked my firefish into hiding. For a straight 2 weeks my firefish stopped coming out of his tiny hole between the rock and the sand. I was getting worried he would starve to death since he wasn’t coming out for food, so I started feeding outside his hole. Sometimes he’d come out but most of the time he just kept hiding. Idea of tongs or a pipette near his hole probably wasn’t helping. Plus, I was getting leftover food in my tank which is still waiting for the CUC to pass QT. I didn’t want to move my rocks so I decided to scare it out and plug his hole. So I took a pipette, shoves it into his little home and kept pumping water into it. Honestly, he didn’t come out, but moved around a bit in the hole. I was about to give up seriously, but funny thing, he comes out the next day! It was like he was dormant the whole time, probably cause his hole was dark and shaded. After he came out, I lured him with some broadcast feeding, careful not to make sudden movements. Now he’s a social guy, always out when the lights are on. Has anyone tried any other tactics to get their firefish out?

Muwahha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 fire fish initially when I first set up my tank. They were very skittish and it would take 10 minutes of sitting still or food to lure them out. Any sudden movements and they were gone. When I added my 2 clowns it seemed to put them at ease. Now they are out all the time and unless someone stomps on the hardwood floor they are more calm.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back