Finally got some data on my dkh phos and calc

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo,

Questions:
- from what I'd read if I were to dose some of the calcium carbonate part of my b ionic solution it - seemed like I could precipitate out some phos into crystals, out of water column, but being that I don't have a skimmer I don't think this would be beneficial to export it out? It would just sink?
- for high alkalinity, based on what I read, could I dose the calcium part to slowly bring down my alkalinity?

Alright my head is swirling from reading all about ca kh PO4, and such.

It's not the first time I'd reviewed it all but now that I have some data to act on I'm feeling a bit more overwhelmed than just winging it and learning prior to now.

Heres my current parameters:
Screenshot_20200929-214708.jpg

So 9/26 and prior have been pretty stable since my initial spike, obvious not as much data as today.

My phosphates are a little high. I've been overfeeding a bit and don't currently have a skimmer, but I do frequent (weekly) water changes (about 12.5%, but I did a big one earlier this week - about 70% water change because I did a deep sandbed clean in prep for my move later this month.

My alkalinity is also a bit high, I'm quite interested to test the saltwater I've been getting (premixed from LFS), I presume its been coming with high alk, else I'm not sure how it's getting so high.

Happy with calcium and my other parameters at the moment.

Actionable items:
- Minimize overfeeding, I've definitely been overdoing it with frozen, flake, and reefroids. This should prevent excess phos buildup going into the tank.
- My copepods have been exploding, paired with minimizing overfeeding, hopefully they'll continue to eat up the extra phos, I'd been hoping to continue to boost them as I'm wanting to get a pair of pipefish in the future, and potentially culture my own pods, zooplankton, and phytoplankton.
- I don't currently have any macro algae, but I'd love to get some soon, going to check my LFS for suitable specimens - the ones I saw today didn't look so hot, the tanks they were in atleast.
- A skimmer - I've been looking at skimmers for smaller tanks such as these:
Screenshot_20200929-215710__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200929-215715__01.jpg

Would love some feedback, I know alk is acceptable and will get eaten up over time, I'll keep tracking it regularly to get more data at the same time everyday. Would love some input on lowering phos and alk tips if anyone has time. I know there aren't *quick* fix, but I'd love to get phos under control asap for calcification purposes.

Last edited:

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def add a skimmer to the tank. Your tanks new and adding calcium to the tank to lower dkh would be best. You need to find out what brand your lfs uses and match your tank to this the best you can. Also your tanks new so don’t chase numbers. Let it do it’s thing and learn your tank. Patience is key with this and so is stability.

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def add a skimmer to the tank. Your tanks new and adding calcium to the tank to lower dkh would be best. You need to find out what brand your lfs uses and match your tank to this the best you can. Also your tanks new so don’t chase numbers. Let it do it’s thing and learn your tank. Patience is key with this and so is stability.
Thanks, a little calc to offset the alk sounds like a plan, in small doses.

I'm also sort of down the rabbit hole of figuring out my nitrates - they've always read near zero, I've never really seen them higher/had more than near zero on a reading, I assume they all get used up pretty quick - my sandbed was used and had I've had lots of microfauna from day 1, but from what Im reading having them a little higher than my phos might help keep/push my phosphates a bit lower - seems like they're a little out of balance now.

Paired with a skimmer, I could probably keep feeding pretty heavy to maintain good phos - but being careful to not letting them go too low - I'd probably opt for not overkill on the skimmer (lower setting or smaller skimmer).

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, a little calc to offset the alk sounds like a plan, in small doses.

I'm also sort of down the rabbit hole of figuring out my nitrates - they've always read near zero, I've never really seen them higher/had more than near zero on a reading, I assume they all get used up pretty quick - my sandbed was used and had I've had lots of microfauna from day 1, but from what Im reading having them a little higher than my phos might help keep/push my phosphates a bit lower - seems like they're a little out of balance now.

Paired with a skimmer, I could probably keep feeding pretty heavy to maintain good phos - but being careful to not letting them go too low - I'd probably opt for not overkill on the skimmer (lower setting or smaller skimmer).
Depends on your feedings the skimmer and levels play a factor in this. Learn your tand and what is best for nutrient export weather a wet skim or dry skim. Depends on the corals amd livestock with this.
Having zero on readings that are phosphates and nitrates isn’t a good thing as you need some for all corals

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your feedings the skimmer and levels play a factor in this. Learn your tand and what is best for nutrient export weather a wet skim or dry skim. Depends on the corals amd livestock with this.
Having zero on readings that are phosphates and nitrates isn’t a good thing as you need some for all corals
Yeah, currently my phos is a little high, about .25 or so, with nitrate a little low, I know I have some, but I don't think I'm producing enough to keep it high right now. My filtration might be a bit overkill compared to my bioload.

I am hoping to get more fish in the near future which should help, but leading to then I might need dose a little nitrate to get it in balance.

That said I don't want to overdo dosing, right now main priority is getting my phos down just a tad so it's not inhibiting calcification. But if I'm dosing a little of the calcium part of my 2 part it should precipitate some phos and drop my alk together. Probably best to not mess with nitrate until after that settles so I don't alter my phosphates on both fronts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relax. There is no big problem here. No need to dose anything.

With no nitrate, you are not overfeeding. I'd feed more, and long term, think about more phosphate export.

OP
OP
nastronaut

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relax. There is no big problem here. No need to dose anything.

With no nitrate, you are not overfeeding. I'd feed more, and long term, think about more phosphate export.
Thanks for the insight Randy.
I'm hoping to get a skimmer over the next few days - inquiring with various sellers and such now! And planning for other methods like macro algae selection.
giphy.gif

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back