Finally in a position to get my first tank.

apex_everything

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2018
Messages
45
Reaction score
67
Location
TN
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm back and ready...

I joined Reef2Reef back in 2018 thinking I was going to build my first 120G tank. Over the past few years, a few moves, different careers, and moved to a new state, I am ready.

I originally planned to do a full custom build way back when being excited about getting into reefing but now knowing how hard and taxing that is, that currently isn't my plan.

I am in a fairly large apartment with gf moving in soon, it only really makes sense on doing a HelloReef 15G Kit to get myself going for only a few hundred dollars in my opinion. I'm really trying to get more "bank for my buck" in maintenance. I figured I would do a few smaller nanos for now while in an apartment. There is so much info out on cycling, i figured the HelloReef kit and following their guide until I find something that works for me/the tank. I'm still doing research on different ways to cycle correctly.

If anyone has nice apartment maintenance equipment/setups/RODI setups, Id love to see them! I don't have room for brute trash bins to make salt water in so I am trying to make up my mind on how to mix the saltwater for first fill / water changes. I could put a brute trash can on the porch and do 5Gs at a time then mix for my first fill? I also heard on different ways to mix salt, some with a power head or a pump. Only way I can hook a RODI system up is to the sink.

I'm probably over thinking everything for my first tank but I'd rather do it right the first time then trying to fix something later.

Thank you!
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Welcome to R2R!
Daniel Radcliffe Howdy GIF by Oregon Trail
 
Welcome back!

For small tanks and spaces, no need for a Brute container, just use a 5 gallon bucket. I'd add a heater and small circ pump, and mix your saltwater in advance (unless your salt mix specifically says not to do that (for example RedSea's "blue" bucket)).

Good luck!
 
finding nemo fish GIF

Welcome Back

I used all dry rock and Carib Sea "Live" sand. Used Dr. Tims for the cycle. If I could go back I would most certainly, at a min, get sand and some rubble from Tampa Bay Saltwater for my tank.
 
Hello all, I'm back and ready...

I joined Reef2Reef back in 2018 thinking I was going to build my first 120G tank. Over the past few years, a few moves, different careers, and moved to a new state, I am ready.

I originally planned to do a full custom build way back when being excited about getting into reefing but now knowing how hard and taxing that is, that currently isn't my plan.

I am in a fairly large apartment with gf moving in soon, it only really makes sense on doing a HelloReef 15G Kit to get myself going for only a few hundred dollars in my opinion. I'm really trying to get more "bank for my buck" in maintenance. I figured I would do a few smaller nanos for now while in an apartment. There is so much info out on cycling, i figured the HelloReef kit and following their guide until I find something that works for me/the tank. I'm still doing research on different ways to cycle correctly.

If anyone has nice apartment maintenance equipment/setups/RODI setups, Id love to see them! I don't have room for brute trash bins to make salt water in so I am trying to make up my mind on how to mix the saltwater for first fill / water changes. I could put a brute trash can on the porch and do 5Gs at a time then mix for my first fill? I also heard on different ways to mix salt, some with a power head or a pump. Only way I can hook a RODI system up is to the sink.

I'm probably over thinking everything for my first tank but I'd rather do it right the first time then trying to fix something later.

Thank you!
Hello from NJ!!! Welcome Back! Good luck with your new setup.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new