OP
OP
Adams Reef

Adams Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome... I am doing a cycle with a 170 right now as well.

A lot of us don’t use the RS ato container because it doesn’t last long and the flow valve can get stuck. We usually flip over to a separate system like a tunze 3155 which I done on my last two RSR

Excited to see your build!

I see. Its if have larger external tank that would bring volume up if failed.
I can a bigger ATO tank that I'm building a stand for. Maybe split into 2 section to add my Refugium.
Told this tank will last 5 days

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Its if have larger external tank that would bring volume up if failed.
I can a bigger ATO tank that I'm building a stand for. Maybe split into 2 section to add my Refugium.
Told this tank will last 5 days

That is why a lot of people go with tunze.. has three fail safes (1) optical eye for (2) float switch (3) timer shuts off pump after a certain time.

I would do a larger ato container. Everyone’s evaporation rate is different for a tank, but from what I have read it’s a lot faster than 5 days and a pita to fill up all the time.

I came out of an 425XL and drilled my ato for a refugium and only used it for a little bit because I didn’t feel it was large enough. I have seen people spilt the sump with baffles.

I went ahead and ordered a stealth sump that gives a large area for a refugium and more water volume which will be nice.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Adams Reef

Adams Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why a lot of people go with tunze.. has three fail safes (1) optical eye for (2) float switch (3) timer shuts off pump after a certain time.

I would do a larger ato container. Everyone’s evaporation rate is different for a tank, but from what I have read it’s a lot faster than 5 days and a pita to fill up all the time.

I came out of an 425XL and drilled my ato for a refugium and only used it for a little bit because I didn’t feel it was large enough. I have seen people spilt the sump with baffles.

I went ahead and ordered a stealth sump that gives a large area for a refugium and more water volume which will be nice.

Hope this helps.

Post link to the sump please. I think I'll want a bigger one myself.
The ATO that will last 5 days is a bigger one I have just not installed need to make stand. It's a little more then double size of the factory one.

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post link to the sump please. I think I'll want a bigger one myself.
The ATO that will last 5 days is a bigger one I have just not installed need to make stand. It's a little more then double size of the factory one.

https://crystalreefaquatics.com/col...s/red-sea-replacement-sump-rsrs-250-reef-sump

This is designed for the 250.. but will fit in the cabinet. You will have to modify your drain and emergency pipes. I already did a spear gate valve for the drain, got rid of RS valve, and will modify the emergency. Or I think I will once I have it in my hands.

OP
OP
Adams Reef

Adams Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T hat's not a problem . There is more info here than one could possibly want !
I broke my hand recently and all this extra time was really helpful lol.
Have been reading up since I had apartment knowing one day I will and everytime I reread and rewatched made a little more sence everytime.

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thanks. Looks like has plenty room for curve 5 and decent refugium.
Would doing a sump switch and removing that much water and replacing with new water shock everything if tank already established.

Nope, it would just be a typical water change, just a little bigger. Just keep the power heads running in the display and don’t take 500 hrs to do it. If you’re in a cold place and concerned with temp, drop a heater in the display

OP
OP
Adams Reef

Adams Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, it would just be a typical water change, just a little bigger. Just keep the power heads running in the display and don’t take 500 hrs to do it. If you’re in a cold place and concerned with temp, drop a heater in the display
Thanks again. So glad I joined. Know about forum because of BRS
Watched the 160 52 weeks now watching the ULM series.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 2.29.55 PM.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We're going to help you make that tank Epic !!! Glad you joined us !!! Pulled the trigger- best move you made!!

pull-the-trigger.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back