finally started my 29 gallon tank setup

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope someone can help me.i have been letting my tank cycle sence 2/28/11 yesterday i tested the water with the api master kit i did all the test in the booklet iam not sure on how to figure out these results on what to do if i have to add something to the water or what to do iam so new to this i feel dumb when it come to these test here is what the results where carbonate hardness 10 dkh=179 ppm kh,phosphate 0.25ppm,nitrate 20ppm,calcium 520ppm.

I don't know how someone on this board missed your request for help. Sorry about getting back to you on this so late.

Your calcium level is a bit on the high side and so are your nitrate and phosphate levels, but you should be able to address these issues with a few good water changes. No need to add any buffer. Let you calcium coast down on its own. Your alkalinity is fine the way it is.

Here's a good article by Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley for the various water quality levels that we should test for:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Is this going to be a reef or fish-only set up?

OP
OP
N

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how someone on this board missed your request for help. Sorry about getting back to you on this so late.

Your calcium level is a bit on the high side and so are your nitrate and phosphate levels, but you should be able to address these issues with a few good water changes. No need to add any buffer. Let you calcium coast down on its own. Your alkalinity is fine the way it is.

Here's a good article by Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley for the various water quality levels that we should test for:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Is this going to be a reef or fish-only set up?
Iam hope for it to be both fish and reef tank.I have started out slow with one clown and one snail,and one crab so far.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good idea to start slow especially if you are very new at keeping a salt water aquarium. Do you have a built-in refugium in your sump?

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it's time to add some chaetomorpha or other macroalgae in your refugium to bring down the phosphate and nitrate level. You can place a small curlique PC lamp over your refugium with a timer so that the macroalgae is lit during the time that display tank is dark. This will help to stabilize a pH and add oxygen through photosynthesis of the algae to your tank at night (when the refugium is lit.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it's time to add some chaetomorpha or other macroalgae in your refugium to bring down the phosphate and nitrate level. You can place a small curlique PC lamp over your refugium with a timer so that the macroalgae is lit during the time that display tank is dark. This will help to stabilize a pH and add oxygen through photosynthesis of the algae to your tank at night (when the refugium is lit.)
thanks for the advise when i get another ride to the saltwater store will be picking some chaetomorpha or other macroalgae up.

OP
OP
N

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sence iam so new to this saltwater i was wondering sence these temp out side are starting to rise high what would be the danger temp in my tank all i have in it right now it one clown,one snell,and one crab.I have adjusted the light timers so it wont be on in the high time of the heat of the day and turned my heater down some when i got up this morning the temps where around 84.3.what do i need to do for my tank to keep it going good everything is living good so far but i guess sence iam new i just over worry.i dont have a chiller but some people say put frozen pop bottles in sump tank to get temp down.when should i do something like that.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small fan or two can make a huge difference. You can buy a small fan (4 to 6 inch diameter) at a place like Wal-Mart or from an online shop and install it inside your stand to blow air on the sump. This will increase the amount of evaporation and cool your tank by a few degrees. You will need to top off more often, though.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
84.3 first thing in the morning is pretty high. How warm does it get during the heat of the day? Are you sure your heater is not doing some of that? I agree with Tomoko about the fan in the sump. If you have a canopy you may also put muffin fans in the ends to create more circulation over the tanks and lights. It would surprise a lot of people has much you reduce the water temp with fans. You will have to top off more but that's not a big problem.

OP
OP
N

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this morning i woke up and was checking on my clown fish and my crab, snail. when i checked my snail out it had died now all i have from my first buy of a couple weeks ago in my clown fish and my crab left dont know what happen for the snail to die all the test and temps where doing very well.now i have to get me another snail soon to help clean my tank.hopfully i can get a couple snail and another crab to go with the one i have and also get another clown to go with the one i have.

jwilson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i work in Decatur and have to drive to TN to pick my daughter up everyother weekend. i could come through Ardmore and bring you a cup of sand, a gallon of water and some cheato. this would aid in getting some bacteria diversity going, and the cheato i have is full of copepods. i even have a coulpe small (small fist sized) pieces of live rock i can give you.

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i live in summertown, which is about a hour away or so. used to install dish there all the time. i dont mind helping you if i can in anyway. keep us updated on the new tank. congrats on the first reef tank. im working on my 2nd. my main mistake was on my first one i rushed things. good luck with your tank. let me know if i can help.
greg

OP
OP
N

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i work in Decatur and have to drive to TN to pick my daughter up everyother weekend. i could come through Ardmore and bring you a cup of sand, a gallon of water and some cheato. this would aid in getting some bacteria diversity going, and the cheato i have is full of copepods. i even have a coulpe small (small fist sized) pieces of live rock i can give you.
that would be great if u wanted to stop by and help me out if u have anything that you have let me have or just to stop in and check my tank out soo see if there is anything iam doing wrong so far.

OP
OP
N

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i live in summertown, which is about a hour away or so. used to install dish there all the time. i dont mind helping you if i can in anyway. keep us updated on the new tank. congrats on the first reef tank. im working on my 2nd. my main mistake was on my first one i rushed things. good luck with your tank. let me know if i can help.
greg
that would be great if you was around here sometime to be able to stop in and look at my tank and give some advise on my stuff.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this morning i woke up and was checking on my clown fish and my crab, snail. when i checked my snail out it had died now all i have from my first buy of a couple weeks ago in my clown fish and my crab left dont know what happen for the snail to die all the test and temps where doing very well.now i have to get me another snail soon to help clean my tank.hopfully i can get a couple snail and another crab to go with the one i have and also get another clown to go with the one i have.

Hey newguy - great start on your first tank. Did you ever get a small fan to control the temps? I have one on the back of my tank and it helps alot with the hot south florida days!

OP
OP
N

newguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey newguy - great start on your first tank. Did you ever get a small fan to control the temps? I have one on the back of my tank and it helps alot with the hot south florida days!
didnt get a fan i just added a frozen bottle of water to tank seem to work very well so far.temps are staying good.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back