Finding source of high Alk

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've gotten better about testing the ALK in my tank, and test it about the same time every night. It's come to my attention that my ALK hovers around 9.6-9.8. My tank is still fairly new, around the 5 month mark so it isn't really consuming anything. However I'm a little confused as to why my ALK is actually that high. I use NeoMarine salt and have tested the alk in a fresh batch and it's nowhere near those levels, I've also tested the tank after a water change and it hardly budges. The only thing I'm dosing is trisodium phosphate. Could the trisodium phosphate be contributing to my high ALK levels or is it something else?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Why are you dosing trisodium phosphate?
2. What else is in your tank? (i.e. coral/fish)
3. Are you sure your test is correct?
4. Alkalinity can vary through the day - could it be you're testing it at a 'peak time'?
5. Do you use tap water or RODI?
6. Some chemical reactions with nitrate, etc can do it.

Do you think its causing a problem?

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I'm dosing it to raise the phosphate levels in the tank because they were previously undetectable.
2. 6 fish, and corals.
3. I've tested using the Hanna checker and two different regents, one being brand new. I've also cross checked it with Salifert.
4. I've tried testing a few different times, including just now, and it's consistently 9.5+.
5. RO/DI through a 5 stage system
6. I've seen a post from Randy about nitrates lowering can contribute to the ALK rising but I think 7.5 to 9.5 is a bit extreme.

While I don't think it's a problem, especially since the numbers are stable. It's more of the why. I'm trying to understand what could be causing it to avoid future potential problems.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. I'm dosing it to raise the phosphate levels in the tank because they were previously undetectable.
2. 6 fish, and corals.
3. I've tested using the Hanna checker and two different regents, one being brand new. I've also cross checked it with Salifert.
4. I've tried testing a few different times, including just now, and it's consistently 9.5+.
5. RO/DI through a 5 stage system
6. I've seen a post from Randy about nitrates lowering can contribute to the ALK rising but I think 7.5 to 9.5 is a bit extreme.

While I don't think it's a problem, especially since the numbers are stable. It's more of the why. I'm trying to understand what could be causing it to avoid future potential problems.
I believe @Randy Holmes-Farley has also mentioned increasing alkalinity from 'rock' as well. I do not see an alkalinity of 9.5 as 'a problem'.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back