Finger Leather Toxic?

grrrrhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a finger leather 3 days ago from a lfs. they were selling it pretty cheap but she doesn't look good at the lfs. i bought it thinking i could make it flourish again though it was my first time gettin a leather.
since i put this leather in my tank, most of my lps wont open up fully. haven't found a good thread on if a finger leather releases toxins when it's dying. anyone has an experience like this?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i bought a finger leather 3 days ago from a lfs. they were selling it pretty cheap but she doesn't look good at the lfs. i bought it thinking i could make it flourish again though it was my first time gettin a leather.
since i put this leather in my tank, most of my lps wont open up fully. haven't found a good thread on if a finger leather releases toxins when it's dying. anyone has an experience like this?
Yes - Leather corals can release chemicals called terpenes. You should at a minimum have activated carbon running. If it is dying - it will only get worse in my experience. That said - leather coral can often 'look bad' - and then quickly comes back. BUT - moving leather corals around can cause problems.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All that being said, I have huge leather corals in my tank with all sorts of LPS. I don't continuously run GAC, but I use it sometimes.
FWIW - I was talking about if one gets damaged/'sick' - they will release toxins. I also have leathers in my tank

OP
OP
G

grrrrhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - Leather corals can release chemicals called terpenes. You should at a minimum have activated carbon running. If it is dying - it will only get worse in my experience. That said - leather coral can often 'look bad' - and then quickly comes back. BUT - moving leather corals around can cause problems.
going to pick up some fresh activated carbons tmrw. for the meantime would a big water change help?

OP
OP
G

grrrrhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all leathers release toxins, but finger leather is a sinularia spp which is the most aggressive of all the leathers. Keep it away from other corals.
definitely didn't know they were that aggressive. might move it to another tank if running activated carbon doesn't work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
definitely didn't know they were that aggressive. might move it to another tank if running activated carbon doesn't work.
Ive run mixed reef the last at least 3 decades and have not really had any toxin issues. Many coral not bothered by them than euphyllia which seems to be more sensitive to terpenes.
I always run chemipure Blue which has no doubt helped with the toxin issue as well as Phosphates

OP
OP
G

grrrrhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive run mixed reef the last at least 3 decades and have not really had any toxin issues. Many coral not bothered by them than euphyllia which seems to be more sensitive to terpenes.
I always run chemipure Blue which has no doubt helped with the toxin issue as well as Phosphates
my torches are definitely the ones being more sensitive with the toxins. forgot to mention that the toxin issues are happening on a 5g pico so the effects on my tank is quite big. would a big water change help resolve this if the activated carbon fails?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
His Issue is immediately after adding a sick leather coral - there are problems. This history is important - no matter what you choose to do:)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all leathers release toxins, but finger leather is a sinularia spp which is the most aggressive of all the leathers. Keep it away from other corals.
Good info, so they can't sting. Is there any noticeable sign on the leather to alert you that they are releasing terpenes? Do they shrink or change color? I have a big finger leather too. It's heavily attached to a rock and I can't remove it. I was told to razor blade it at the bottom but honestly it's a living animal that I put in my tank and I don't have the heart to cut it down like that. It's just trying to survive and doing quite well actually so I'm just trying to block it from rubbing my acros now. It's over 12 inches.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
His Issue is immediately after adding a sick leather coral - there are problems. This history is important - no matter what you choose to do:)
Im aware and its suggested being too cautious in as which Lavey stated - defense mechanism is extreme. Recommending chemipure or carbon keeps risk simple

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
my torches are definitely the ones being more sensitive with the toxins. forgot to mention that the toxin issues are happening on a 5g pico so the effects on my tank is quite big. would a big water change help resolve this if the activated carbon fails?
Carbon should not fail until it weakens at about 60-90 days. You can however replenish sooner

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im aware and its suggested being too cautious in as which Lavey stated - defense mechanism is extreme. Recommending chemipure or carbon keeps risk simple
Thats. I think - what I said

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good info, so they can't sting. Is there any noticeable sign on the leather to alert you that they are releasing terpenes? Do they shrink or change color? I have a big finger leather too. It's heavily attached to a rock and I can't remove it. I was told to razor blade it at the bottom but honestly it's a living animal that I put in my tank and I don't have the heart to cut it down like that. It's just trying to survive and doing quite well actually so I'm just trying to Blick it from rubbing my acros now. It's over 12 inches.
Yes - they shrink - they look sick (like the one in the OP). I had a leather coral (toadstool) that grew to about 2 feet in diameter - I cut if off at the base - and re-homed it. its not difficult.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they are happy in their environment so no need for defensive mechanism.
Maybe so. I do rip them off and hack at them with a razor blade pretty often. They also come in contact with a green slimer, monti cap, chalice, zoas. I do not keep finger leathers, so maybe they're worse than toadstools.

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base appears split ? Disintegrating? Sick? Dying? Seal it with glue? Remove it? Thanks

20221111_140959.jpg 20221111_141002.jpg

Attachments

• 20221111_141007.mp4
    32.8 MB

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back