Fins ablaze: Have you kept a Flame Angel?

Have you kept a Flame Angel?

• Yes, I currently keep a Flame Angel.

Votes: 89 20.9%
  • Yes, I have kept a Flame Angel in the past.

Votes: 141 33.1%
  • No, but I plan to keep a Flame Angel in the future.

Votes: 82 19.2%
  • No, and I have no plans to keep a Flame Angel.

Votes: 107 25.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 1.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fins ablaze: Have you kept a Flame Angel?

The Flame Angel, Centropyge loricula, is a very colorful dwarf angelfish and is recognizable for many marine fish keepers. Because of its smaller size it can be kept in a wide array of tanks ranging from mid-size to large tanks. Although not a fish for a nano-tank, these fish do not require a large tank that is appropriate for many marine angelfish. Once it settles in, The Flame Angel can be found swimming around the tank and picking at algae. However, be warned that they are considered semi-aggressive so be aware of the tank mates and order of introduction. Have you kept a Flame Angel? If so, please tell us about your experience and feel free to share tips with the R2R community!

Nutramar_FlameAngel.jpeg

Photo by Quality Marine / @Nutramar Foods

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates."

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stunning fish, IMO. I have had one Flame Angel in a mixed reef several years ago. In that scenario, he was a perfect tank mate with a Yellow Tang, two clowns and a couple of other fish. He (or she) did not pick on any corals including Acros. In my all-Acro tank, I'm not so sure I would be that trustworthy. ;)

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angel, in top 10 of my ‘must have’ list.
Have had at least 1 in at least 1 of my tanks since 1973!

As I recall, they were about $50 in ‘73, and stayed at that price until a few years ago.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice. I thought that I got unlucky with the first little nipper so I tried a second one. After I had dismantled the tank to catch the second one I have not since considering trying a third flame

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites! They have always been ideal tank mates in my experience. A beautiful and active fish that gives a much needed splash of fire red to the tank!
Unfortunately, I forgot to put the screen top back on my tank after a maintenance session and the flame decided that was the day he was going to jump. I didn't find him until later that evening. :loudly-crying-face:

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites! They have always been ideal tank mates in my experience. A beautiful and active fish that gives a much needed splash of fire red to the tank!
Unfortunately, I forgot to put the screen top back on my tank after a maintenance session and the flame decided that was the day he was going to jump. I didn't find him until later that evening. :loudly-crying-face:
That could happen to anyone I’m sure. Sorry for the loss

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently house one in my Red Sea 300XL. It’s a model citizen with my corals, but he grouchy with any fish that have and red colouring. He chased my purple firefish around until the fire got fed up and jumped, and he only had a little red on him with more purple…. I have a tight lid on the tank, but found a small space where the light cutout was…. He now tries to bully the Lyretail Anthia that has a reddish colour to it, but the Anthia can hold it‘s own. But I now know that I can’t have the McKosker wrasse I really wanted, or any other red coloured wrasse, as he will just beat the snot out of it. So bummed about that.

I got the angel to eat the pineapple sponges and keep the rocks clean, which he is awesome at. Plus he’s always out in the open swimming and he’s awesome to look at with a good personality.

Great fish, just can’t house another red fish in my smaller sized tank. So there’s the rub.

zig.

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently house one in my Red Sea 300XL. It’s a model citizen with my corals, but he grouchy with any fish that have and red colouring. He chased my purple firefish around until the fire got fed up and jumped, and he only had a little red on him with more purple…. I have a tight lid on the tank, but found a small space where the light cutout was…. He now tries to bully the Lyretail Anthia that has a reddish colour to it, but the Anthia can hold it‘s own. But I now know that I can’t have the McKosker wrasse I really wanted, or any other red coloured wrasse, as he will just beat the snot out of it. So bummed about that.

I got the angel to eat the pineapple sponges and keep the rocks clean, which he is awesome at. Plus he’s always out in the open swimming and he’s awesome to look at with a good personality.

Great fish, just can’t house another red fish in my smaller sized tank. So there’s the rub.

zig.

Didn’t know they went after like colors. Interesting

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one as a rescue from someone getting out of the hobby, and nursed it through a bad case of HLLE. He lived in my 55 with two ocellaris clowns, a pearly jawfish, lawnmower blenny, tailspot blenny and six lined wrasse. He never bothered anyone and I never saw him bother my corals (Psammacora, LPS, and softies.

I don't know how old he was when I got him but he lived about six years with me. Beautiful fish and a model citizen. I will likely get another one day.

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried putting one in with my eibli and he lasted about 6 months before he ended up in the sump. I gave him away eventually. He nipped softed corals not as bad as my clown tang which will eat "tree" corals given enough time.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one in a 120g softie tank with a wide array of other fish. I took him in from a friend who was shutting his tank down and he’s been an angel. There were already larger established fish in the tank who were the bosses so he hasn’t had an attitude problem so far. He did probably eat all of my fireworks clove polyps but he’s pretty and well behaved so it’s okay.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one about a month ago , worse mistake I've made .
It hated my clowns and was constantly fighting them so I sold the clowns.
Now it picks on my chromis at lights out .
I've recently added a malanarus wrasse which ain't come out if the sand since I put it in on Friday . Probably scared of the flame angel. Time to get rid!!! If I can catch it :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back