Fins ablaze: Have you kept a Flame Angel?

Have you kept a Flame Angel?

• Yes, I currently keep a Flame Angel.

Votes: 89 20.9%
  • Yes, I have kept a Flame Angel in the past.

Votes: 141 33.1%
  • No, but I plan to keep a Flame Angel in the future.

Votes: 82 19.2%
  • No, and I have no plans to keep a Flame Angel.

Votes: 107 25.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 1.6%

• Total voters

FlemFlam86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved mine! I'm not sure what happened to him, I think he was old when I got him. That color and the way he whizzed around the tank made him one of my favorites. He and my melanarus wrasse were best friends. Before I got my anemone, the female clown ran around with them and they were like the "cool kids" in the tank. None of them have bothered corals. I want another one ASAP!

Attachments

• 20171110_142337.jpg
    20171110_142337.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 42

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have both the flame and a coral beauty in a Red Sea 250 for about 3 yrs in an acro dominate tank. CB is def the boss of the 2, but no real issues with corals or other fish in the tank. Very active fish

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about 6 months now. Since adding him i do not have any fuzzy acros anymore and acans no longer survive. So IDK if its him or not.

But he's a model citizen though. Never chasing anyone.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230216_173016.jpg 20230714_183058.jpg 20230216_172949.jpg

Have a pair along with multiple other angelfish together in a tank for 1-2 years (some angels were added later). Model citizens unlike the majestic that ate all the sacrificial torches. The pair of flameback angelfish in there are way more aggressive incomparison (even sometimes bully the regals in there despite the size difference)

You're the first that I heard an angel eating euphylia. Normally they dont touch them and go after the meaty corals

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has not touched any coral. He was a jerk chasing similar sized angels and other fish like the cardinals, firefish, wrasses. I added a poma about half his size and he didn't even bother. He and the newly added powder blue went at it for weeks. Fins badly torn, bodies bruised. It one day stopped and they left each other alone. Will only eat brine, mysis, an market shrimp.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about 6 months now. Since adding him i do not have any fuzzy acros anymore and acans no longer survive. So IDK if its him or not.

But he's a model citizen though. Never chasing anyone.
ohhhhh it's him, here too 90% of the acros lose daytime fuzz, but there's a few that he must not mess with... it took a camera for me to catch him, every once and a while I'll see him nip at the sticks but it's mostly nipping glass and rocks

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame angel years ago, (around the year 2000) and mine was a relentless picker. I also had a coral beauty angel at the same time and the coral beauty did not pick. So from that time until now I have only chose Coral Beauties in the dwarf angelfish species. I do however think Flame angelfish are exceptionally beautiful, but I love feather duster worms and euphillia like hammers and frog spawn and its just too frustrating seeing a fish go after those.

hkmapear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, keeping mine one at the quarantine tank.

Attachments

• IMG_7744.jpeg
    IMG_7744.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 32

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to, and almost did - but opted for a Coral Beauty as the advice I got said that I'd likely have better luck with my Lemonpeel getting along. Either bad luck, or bad advice as my Lemonpeel beat the Coral Beauty to death within a few days. I tried like hell to catch one or the other, but never even came close to nabbing either one.

I'd still love to have a Flame, just not interested in another fight to the death.

The strange thing is that the Lemonpeel doesn't harass anything else, and he was one of the early additions.

and people say fishtanks are so relazing... I hate the fights to the death : (

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a flame angel in a 180 reef. He shares the tank w/ a flameback angel but lets be clear it is good to have space... in a smaller tank I think the flameback might get harassed... Other then the other pygmy angel I love said flameback he is a model citizen and I would always put that stunning fish in my reef. In fact I would never go smaller then a 50 gallon reef so i could keep a flame angel and a mandarin (opting to supply pods)

Attachments

• 180reef2023.jpg
    180reef2023.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 83

KaryTse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Flame angel, and have one in my tank for about 3 years. Nice to other tank mates and especially a good buddy with a Flame hawk, they two always hang out together. But it love to pick on brian coral, not other corals. So no more brain coral in my tank now.

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a very beautiful fish, but I never had one and I don’t think I ever will. I try to keep only peaceful fish in my tank

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fins ablaze: Have you kept a Flame Angel?

The Flame Angel, Centropyge loricula, is a very colorful dwarf angelfish and is recognizable for many marine fish keepers. Because of its smaller size it can be kept in a wide array of tanks ranging from mid-size to large tanks. Although not a fish for a nano-tank, these fish do not require a large tank that is appropriate for many marine angelfish. Once it settles in, The Flame Angel can be found swimming around the tank and picking at algae. However, be warned that they are considered semi-aggressive so be aware of the tank mates and order of introduction. Have you kept a Flame Angel? If so, please tell us about your experience and feel free to share tips with the R2R community!

Nutramar_FlameAngel.jpeg

Photo by Quality Marine / @Nutramar Foods
This is Fins ablaze. My Nuptial coloration Flame Angel
FlameAngel2019062806.jpg
FlameAngel2019080501MaleNuptial.jpg
FlameAngel2019082508MaleNuptial.jpg
FlameAngel2019082510MaleNuptial.jpg
FlameAngel2019082512MaleNuptial.jpg
FlameAngel2020030502Male.jpg

And the Target of his affection
FlameAngel2020032101Female.jpg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have a harem of Flame angels in all my tanks. They do need mid large size tank for harem or pair. 65 gal OK for singleton but if you want interesting behavior and beautiful color they need to be in at least 129 gal tank. They swim in wide arch in their mating dance. Color up beautiful too, but difficult to catch with camera. They always spawn just at dust. Have to set the light dim over 1/2 hrs or so at least so they can finish mating dance and spawn before the light completely go out.
One of my favorite fish and absolutely my favorite dwarf Angel.

As you can see in my previous post, it is not the red but the yellow that bring out the Flame in Flame Angel.

Very appropriately name, even if ,IMO, not as most of us picture of when think of Flame Angel

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back