Fire shrimp aggression

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I have recently added a second fire shrimp to a 85 gal system with plenty of rock work and I didn’t see the new little guy for 2-3 days after adding to tank. Yesterday I finally saw him and noticed he was missing some legs one of his claws and most antennae (I’ve attached pictures of the little guy) BUT he’s been molting and recovering some legs and antennae back. Ever since I’ve added the second the first fire shrimp has become a wrecker and he attacks everyone in the tank including cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp and fish sometimes.
I feed 2x per day for fish and corals mostly but I see him eating whatever lands by his cave, I also feed crab cuisine when lights go out so all inverts can have something to eat daily.

Anyone experienced this or have any recommendations to cut down the aggression from this tank nightmare? Thanks in advance!

1C64281C-B3EE-4158-8A47-77C38DD0FA64.jpeg 7AED03E6-23EF-44CF-9A2A-E1A49F041C07.jpeg

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is he causing any damage to the fish or shrimp when he attacks them.
what I mean to say is that they tend to "jump" at fish or shrimp when they come close but no damage or harm is done.
hopefully that's the situation with yours.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is he causing any damage to the fish or shrimp when he attacks them.
what I mean to say is that they tend to "jump" at fish or shrimp when they come close but no damage or harm is done.
hopefully that's the situation with yours.
He’s causing damage to the other shrimp for sure, most of them have lost their antennae and legs and some fish get caught by his claw sometimes but they fight back

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I have recently added a second fire shrimp to a 85 gal system with plenty of rock work and I didn’t see the new little guy for 2-3 days after adding to tank. Yesterday I finally saw him and noticed he was missing some legs one of his claws and most antennae (I’ve attached pictures of the little guy) BUT he’s been molting and recovering some legs and antennae back. Ever since I’ve added the second the first fire shrimp has become a wrecker and he attacks everyone in the tank including cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp and fish sometimes.
I feed 2x per day for fish and corals mostly but I see him eating whatever lands by his cave, I also feed crab cuisine when lights go out so all inverts can have something to eat daily.

Anyone experienced this or have any recommendations to cut down the aggression from this tank nightmare? Thanks in advance!

1C64281C-B3EE-4158-8A47-77C38DD0FA64.jpeg 7AED03E6-23EF-44CF-9A2A-E1A49F041C07.jpeg
fireshrimp are very territorial with other fire shrimp, they may become a pair or else they will kill eachother

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they could become a mated pair. also with them its space wise and not rock amount wise
I hope they do cause I feel bad for the little guy getting his legs and antennae’s constantly chopped off

although he gains most of them back when he molts but usually lasts like a day or so

Upvote 0

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s also trying to nip the cleaner shrimps I have but they always outsmart the fire shrimp
well thats cause they are cleaner shrimps, they do not like eachother and the attacks are more likely from the other cleaners then, with the fires maybe being paired if they are following eachother around

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back